PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Outputs

Paul Breen
08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Hi all, I've been asked to build or purchase a media server with 8 DVI outputs (7 outputs + 1 local), which I'm beginning to think is currently impossible. Including TH2G and any type of graphics card/s is it possible right now? I'm looking at the nvidia quadroplex 7000 (beast!) but sadly it's only pc for now. Any ideas?

Paul

NevBull
08-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Hiya Paul

Unless you are using a low resolution, there is no way one machine will do 8 outputs. I am not sure if you can run two X4's on one machine at a low res.

Nev.

Mr_P
09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
What do you need to do that you cant do over 2 servers?

Or use peripheral equipment to scale into a larger pallet to create smaller outputs.

Scan Converters or Old style screen controllers can do this:

http://www.iiview.com/index.php/video-wall-videowall-datawall-controllers/video-wall-controllers

Same idea as TH2G - but more ouptut at lower resolution...

S

Paul Breen
10-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the info. What I'm doing is a 360 degree projection on large surfaces where the public will be close to the projected images, so the higher the resolution the better. I have been told that the quality is to be high enough that when standing beside the projected image the pixels must not be seen, which is a tall order I know. So it's 6 projectors in a circle, within a concave room of some sort, and the 7th projector facing up to fill in the gap at the top. I have to warp the images across all seven outputs so that it all fits in together. When number 1 and number 6 and top projectors meet, so that the images join well is up to who makes the content. Can the eVigilant products take the image from a TH2G?

Mr_P
10-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Paul

What is the 'eVigilant' products???

You can do this with 2 servers and 6 HD outputs... Just frame lock them together...

But 1920x1080 may not be the best resolution to use in this scenario... You may need more of a 4:3 ratio for this work... ?

Curved work Is always difficult to get right especially at the top - since the image can be highly 'squashed' depending how far up you blend.
blending a top 7th projector is almost impossible
(anyone else do comment...)

Since you mentioned a 7 th projector - I assume this would point vertically up?
Cant you just use a wide angle fx lense on a single projector (like the puffers sphere) to do the entire job?
Just a thought

S

Paul Breen
11-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Sorry, I was looking at one product and saw eVigilant, I mean the iView stuff. What I'm thinking now, is if I have two eXtreme4s (http://www.iiview.com/index.php/video-wall-videowall-datawall-controllers/video-wall-controllers/extreme4s-standalone-video-wall-controller), one on each output of an nvidia Quadro FX 4000, aka the system I have at the moment. Then arrange the 8 outputs straight across 2-8, number 1 being my local. So on my outputs 2-7 I have my image/video curve screened within catalyst and number 8 sphere screened to tie up to the projected images below. How does that sound? The eXtreme units can receive up to 4k x 4k input data, and the 4k size limit in catalyst, means I should be on the cusp of what catalyst can do right now. I'd just wonder if the Quadro FX4000 can handle it. The DP-DVI output on it cannot handle a TH2G while one is connected to the main DVI output so is this the best card I can get. I'm willing to put in the best cards and hardware if it works

Paul Breen
11-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Thinking about it now, I definitely do think a twin mac system frame locked together with t th2g would be fine. It free's up an output on each that doesn't need to be high res so all the processing is only for 3 outputs per computer. Again on the graphics card though, what really is the best out there? I had thought about a wide angle but the distances are up to 60ft from centre to edge, and the client doesnt want anything in the centre of the room, however one facing directly up hung in med air might be ok for top image, provided it looks fine and doesnt block projectors down low. I've been looking at this website from a man called Paul Bourke (http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/domemirror/mirrordome/) and he has some very interesting study done on projection using domed mirrors. I'd need very bright projectors and some seriously shiny mirrors though. I think it might work?

Mr_P
11-12-2011, 09:33 PM
The DP-DVI output on it cannot handle a TH2G while one is connected to the main DVI output

If you use a TH2G-Display Port edition on the Display port of the Quadro4000 and a TH2G-Digital on the DVI port... you can get 4x 1920x1080 outputs...
If you just use a TH2G-Display Port edition on the DP output only... you can get 3x 1920x1080 out of the TH2G-Display Port edition

S

ryanww
11-12-2011, 09:35 PM
I have just recently commissioned a catalyst system with 2 machines consisting of the following:

quad core 2.8
3 120g SSDs
Nvidia Quadrafx 4000
1 tripplehead2go
3 matrox Convertdvi to get genlocked dvi.

Both machines are running 3 1920x1080 displays without a hitch and are synced together. I can get 1 complete set of 1920x1080 with no frame drop and 2 sets of 720p with no frame drop. Plus some additional graphics and Other movies at times.

One thing to note, the quadrafx 4000 will only output dual link with a high enough res on the dvi output only.the display port will only go to 2500 ish pixels wide, not the 3840 needed for 2 x 1920 outputs needed with a triple head. Or you could only get that 4 way box mentioned above to work on that card and probably won't get the second port to work at all.

The single 20k with a super wide lense Is terrible looking. Great for easy and fast setup, but this would highly disappoint your client I would guarantee you.

I would definitely say use at least 2 servers. One can't do all that. And more is better depending on what your layering needs are.

Mr_P
11-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry, I was looking at one product and saw eVigilant, I mean the iView stuff. What I'm thinking now, is if I have two eXtreme4s (http://www.iiview.com/index.php/video-wall-videowall-datawall-controllers/video-wall-controllers/extreme4s-standalone-video-wall-controller), one on each output of an nvidia Quadro FX 4000, aka the system I have at the moment. Then arrange the 8 outputs straight across 2-8, number 1 being my local. So on my outputs 2-7 I have my image/video curve screened within catalyst and number 8 sphere screened to tie up to the projected images below. How does that sound?

Bad idea...

The eXtreme units can receive up to 4k x 4k input data, and the 4k size limit in catalyst, means I should be on the cusp of what catalyst can do right now. I'd just wonder if the Quadro FX4000 can handle it.

doubt you will get 2x 4K outputs from the graphics card...
or be able to playback more than one 4K movie...

I'm willing to put in the best cards and hardware if it works

Nvidia Quadro 4000 is the best on the market at the moment...

Mr_P
11-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Thinking about it now, I definitely do think a twin mac system frame locked together with t th2g would be fine. It free's up an output on each that doesn't need to be high res so all the processing is only for 3 outputs per computer.

much better idea...

Again on the graphics card though, what really is the best out there?

Nvidia Quadro 4000 seems to be best at the moment

I had thought about a wide angle but the distances are up to 60ft from centre to edge, and the client doesnt want anything in the centre of the room, however one facing directly up hung in med air might be ok for top image, provided it looks fine and doesnt block projectors down low.

If the projectors are situated on the opposite side of the room - with the distances quotes - it shouldn't be too difficult to line up - but the top will be tricky...
(Can you persuade your client not to project at the top?)

I've been looking at this website from a man called Paul Bourke (http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/domemirror/mirrordome/) and he has some very interesting study done on projection using domed mirrors. I'd need very bright projectors and some seriously shiny mirrors though. I think it might work?

Never tried a curved mirror - would suggest testing first!... looks interesting...

S

ryanww
12-12-2011, 12:48 AM
The Nvidia Quadro cannot output anything higher then 2560x1600 out the display port, so it is unable to do more then 1 4k x 4k. I also highly doubt outputting 4k x 4k will allow any left over power to put out anything on the display port, maybe just another 1080p display at most...