PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Specs Catalyst

Cormac
06-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Hello,
I have been asked to build a small Catalyst Server system using a Mac-book Pro laptop which i have been given/lent for a short tour next year.
I am hoping to purchase Catalyst express for the event which requires me to run one/two layers of content and perhaps four universes of pixelmad as another option which we are exploring.
As i am neither a frequent Mac nor Catalyst user would anyone have basic hardware requirements for the Mac book Pro to do this.
OS/Graphics Card/RAM or any other system requirements would be appreciated.
I intend to format the Mac book HD and upgrade the RAM in any event and upgrade the OS to Lion if this is advised.
I understand i will need to convert the Artnet output to DMX for the pixelmad universes and i am taking this into account (unless i can get fixtures that accept artnet direct)

-If there is a document or anyone else has any insight i would be very appreciative,this tour does not have a huge budget so am trying to use what i have available to me rather than what would be the ideal setup in a perfect world.
These shows will run over the course of the year so i think the purchase cost will
probably be more effective than hiring different systems over the course of the year.
If i can post any further information which would help please let me know.

Kind Regards Cormac

technick
06-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Can I be the first to say don't touch Lion?

I've run express on my moderately mid spec Macbook with no issues at all, although i wasn't using pixel mapping

If you are only outputting 1024 x 768 for example it will be fine.

I do have the 7200rpm hard drive. It might be worth getting a E - sata card and drive but I couldn't say for sure.

Cormac
06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks Nick,
Ok that's a big help.
Will try and get leopard installed instead.

May mail you direct if that's Ok?

Regards Cormac

NevBull
06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey Cormac

I run that kind of content from a macbook pro quite happily - as Nick says, as long as the content is not huge and if you can work without a HUD - that helps resources.

Drop me a line if I can be any help

Nev.

technick
06-12-2011, 09:23 PM
You can mail me any time Cormac!

ajmaudio
07-12-2011, 03:06 AM
I have a current generation macbook pro with an ssd in place of the optical drive and the highest discreet graphics solution currently offered and it will easily do what you ask and more. I agree with staying away form lion.