PDA

View Full Version : OS X Lion 10.7

SourceChild
07-06-2011, 03:31 AM
It's new, it's nice, it's got bells and whistles....:rolleyes:

It just doesn't play nice with Catalyst.

Not at all

NevBull
07-06-2011, 07:23 AM
are you surprised?????? :D

Nev.

ajmaudio
08-06-2011, 08:03 AM
what did they break now?

gazzer82
15-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Pretty much everything, don't go near it with a barge pole for the time being, Catalyst won't even launch in it's current form!

Let's hope it's a little while before they do another Mac Pro hardware refresh and we are all screwed again like the whole ATI driver debacle!

samsc
23-06-2011, 09:59 AM
There isnt a SINGLE useful feature in Lion to pro users-

nothing-

-

they seem to be trying to turn the OS into iOS-

and totally dumping people who dont do this-

Final Cut PRO X- indicates the extent of the problems

its a total abomination-

which doesnt even pay lip service to existing workflows-

they have dumped all the pro drivers and pro quicktime support stuff thats been around for 10-15 years

SourceChild
23-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I've been installing beta versions and testing capabilities.

In short, it goes like this.

Apple makes Leopard. Leopard is made with all sorts of new feature (many inside that people are unaware of). It is build with an architecture derived of large and clunky but solid structured code (Carbon). The parts of the system that are new are solidified an further tested.

Once Leopard is wide spread and tested, they completely re-write the structured code and replace the large clunky pieces with refined streamlined objects that can further be enhanced and extended in the future.

This new Object oriented codebase is called Snow-Leopard and although is very similar on the surface, is radically thinner and faster on the inside.

At this point Snow Leopard is the epitome of where OS X is developed to from an "under the hood" perspective. This will ultimately be the code base used for a long time.

Then Lion comes along... Truth be known, Lion is simple a package of enhancements which install atop Snow Leopard. In fact, you cannot even install Lion from scratch but must install Snow Leopard as a foundation first.

Then the enhancement "Lion" packaged is deployed on top.

In the world of UNIX, Lion is paper thin and nothing but fluff. However, in the world of quick apps and development, Lion opens doors for a huge amount of extensibility within and beyond Apple's dev teams.

Unfortunately though, all those enhancements do not increase the performance of the overall system, especially in areas that simply require raw processing such as with Catalyst.

samsc
23-06-2011, 08:06 PM
You make the same confusion most people get sold on

"unstructured" "clunky" "carbon" that's utter bollocks

There is no such thing- most developers prefer c type libraries line carbon
They are easier to develop with and have less undocumented interactions

Class libraries are a freaking nightmare- especially when the source is hidden - as it is with iOS

There is actually a totally different problem
And that's the completely hidden nature of the objective c source code

Lion has been awful because apple has been fascistically and unilaterally been breaking old stuff
Stuff that hasn't even settled down yet

There is a terrible shifting uncertainty right now- as to what will be obsoleted or broken next

Witness the disaster of final cut pro x - which is an unmitigated disaster
Doesn't do anything pros do
Because all that pro stuff was in stuff written 10 years ago - and still stable and working

I've been installing beta versions and testing capabilities.

In short, it goes like this.

Apple makes Leopard. Leopard is made with all sorts of new feature (many inside that people are unaware of). It is build with an architecture derived of large and clunky but solid structured code (Carbon). The parts of the system that are new are solidified an further tested.

Once Leopard is wide spread and tested, they completely re-write the structured code and replace the large clunky pieces with refined streamlined objects that can further be enhanced and extended in the future.

This new Object oriented codebase is called Snow-Leopard and although is very similar on the surface, is radically thinner and faster on the inside.

At this point Snow Leopard is the epitome of where OS X is developed to from an "under the hood" perspective. This will ultimately be the code base used for a long time.

Then Lion comes along... Truth be known, Lion is simple a package of enhancements which install atop Snow Leopard. In fact, you cannot even install Lion from scratch but must install Snow Leopard as a foundation first.

Then the enhancement "Lion" packaged is deployed on top.

In the world of UNIX, Lion is paper thin and nothing but fluff. However, in the world of quick apps and development, Lion opens doors for a huge amount of extensibility within and beyond Apple's dev teams.

Unfortunately though, all those enhancements do not increase the performance of the overall system, especially in areas that simply require raw processing such as with Catalyst.

ajmaudio
27-06-2011, 04:01 AM
wonder how much trouble this means for the future?? Any clue?

samsc
27-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Catalyst uses the stuff that final cut pro 7 uses

Apple made some catastrophic design decisions a few years ago
to deprecate older and useful stuff- the stuff that final cut pro uses

Hence the final cut x catastrophe - killing a professional tool over night

Right now they seem to be more interested in their phones than pro users

QuickTime player x - which does nothing useful - seems to be the direction they have moved in

ajmaudio
27-06-2011, 08:31 PM
don't let em kill Cat Richard ha....

samsc
27-06-2011, 09:27 PM
don't let em kill Cat Richard ha....

nah - they wont kill me - i use the minimal number of apple software dev related things i can possibly get away with-

catalyst works in lion-

but im not sure about the performance - or what stuff they broke - that didnt need breaking

Mr_P
27-06-2011, 11:35 PM
... theres just more stuff to turn off in lion

(cats have 9 lives...)

RobbJibson
22-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Lion came out! At least here in the US.
I'm traveling in Asia at the moment but has anyone tried it with the release version?
Anything to look out for?

I'm not really wanting all the fancy garble that it promises, but I would like to see the updates to a few apps and the versioning / backups that is supplies system wide. I don't think my drawing apps are up to speed on it yet so I don't want to click "yes" on the D/L that came in overnight....

And I'm using my lappy to send content on all these fly shows. So I don't want to jeopardize that. But I'd sure like to know!

The machines I use back home are still on 10.5 and I guess should stay that way...

Robb

samsc
22-07-2011, 01:36 AM
i suggest everyone watches the bleeding from a distance-

as people discover more things are broken/deprecated than are added or fixed....

rosetta was a key component in a lot of hidden stuff-
stuff that hadnt been updated for a while - 3rd party things-

RobbJibson
22-07-2011, 01:34 PM
copy that. I will prolly update my laptop sooner-ish, once I get this current tour off and running and no drawings / renderings have to be done for a bit.
I've always got the office machines / road machines etc.
I will try and post findings here, but it won't be till after 8/1 -ish...

Robb

samsc
06-08-2011, 12:10 PM
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/08/buggy-nvidia-drivers-giving-2010-macbook-pro-owners-lion-upgrade-headaches.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

blamelewis
30-08-2011, 11:51 AM
nah - they wont kill me - i use the minimal number of apple software dev related things i can possibly get away with-

catalyst works in lion-

but im not sure about the performance - or what stuff they broke - that didnt need breaking
Hi Richard,

I can't get m329 to launch at all under Lion. Have you another version which works in Lion?

samsc
05-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi Richard,

I can't get m329 to launch at all under Lion. Have you another version which works in Lion?

send me email

PascalV
06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
i am also interested in a version that work under Lion.

samsc
06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
i am also interested in a version that work under Lion.

Send me email

if its working don't break it-

do not upgrade any current systems to 10.7 from 10.6 or 10.5 - unless you like pain

you lose lots of stuff and gain nothing - unless you like half baked auto-save

it usually takes apple 6 months or so to finally get to something that works properly

PascalV
08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
problem is on new mac, it's impossible to install version 10.6 or 10.5

samsc
08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
which new mac?

apple typically does not get important bugs fixed for 6 months after new OS release-

they turn their problem into your problem.

i test stuff for 6 months or so before even tentatively using it in important situations.

Mr_P
08-09-2011, 10:01 AM
problem is on new mac, it's impossible to install version 10.6 or 10.5

Not true -

We are purchasing new macs which are sold with Lion pre-installed. We then wipe the HD and re-install Snow Leopard via Disk Image (10.6.8)...
We leave the Lion rescue partition in-tact (because its hidden) so that it can be upgraded at a much later date once stable.

S

samsc
08-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Noone should be updating a working and installed system with a new OS-

Noone should consider this process to be without trouble- at many levels-

i suggest noone makes any move to make a major change to use Lion from an existing system

If someone wants to try - they should be keeping a complete bootable backup of their existing OS hard drive-

Wait -until enough time has passed- and bugs have been fixed- checked and rechecked-

apple changes not only software - but hardware drivers and their implementation-

It can take some considerable time for 3rd party vendors to get to grips with these changes-

overall system reliability - on long and short term shows-
is more important than using the latest software OS from apple-

There are no new features in Lion that make an improvement to the operation or performance of catalyst-

IanH
21-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Just heard from colleague in Miami, he is running Lion on a New Mac Mini Server with SSd with no problem to date..... not sure what is turned on or off yet ....

Ian

ajmaudio
22-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Pascal... As MrP said it can be done on some macs sold with Lion installed... the trick is that ONLY 10.6.8 works so it must be done via a disk image as there was never a retail disk with that version. Its not all that hard really.... Just did it on a new MBP... runnin fine... the 6750 gpu seems to be pretty decent for a mac laptop actually

Marchel Daalhuizen
01-11-2011, 08:43 PM
so what now ?
and how long will it take :)

samsc
01-11-2011, 08:54 PM
look in downloads.. right now

but I'm still mystified why people would want to take a risk to change something that works - to something that doesnt-

there is absolutely no need for any mac pro users to upgrade to lion-

i would never suggest anyone did any such thing without a lot of confidence testing on real shows- - and right now - no one is using Lion on any shows with mac pro

mwedesigns
26-09-2012, 01:41 AM
just built a new show server with one of the new mac mini put the Lion build on it and coundnt understand why some stuff didnt work as it should then found this thread ....gutted ...notice there is a system update does this help at all ?

issues are wont display JPEG images _test /set up cards

had the software lock up while shuffling between content

might be old news but thought i would share
sticking with the 10.6 laptop for a while then ...

Mark