PDA

View Full Version : crash on startup without monitor

gillekes
18-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Hi everybody,
This is the setup:
New 2011 macmini. Installed and pre-programed with help of a FHD monitor.
This catalyst server is going to be used as showcontrol server. It is configured in Mac ambient network and the catalyst show works very well. After this the monitor is disconnected, and the Mac mini is accessed thru a Macbook Pro with screen sharing. After a reboot, no monitor connected, catalyst crashes on startup, repeatedly. the only way to resolve this is to reconnect the monitor on the MDP-port.

Any ideas?

Marty Postma
18-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Sounds like either OSX or Catalyst is not liking the fact that there is no EDID happening on your GFX card on startup.

Have you tried connecting a DVI Parrot or Detective to see if "faking" out the video card solves the issue?

Hope this helps. :)

gillekes
18-05-2011, 07:49 AM
I'll leave a monitor connected. So there is no problem for this install. I would like to have some feedback if someone else has encountered this problem. Just to make sure there is no problem wit osx and to confirm it is a (known?) bug (with a workaround) and not a problem on this machine.

samsc
20-05-2011, 11:39 AM
catalyst depends on graphics gpu -

sounds like headless mode is not enabling graphics gpu-

suggest parrot edid which will turn on display as marty says

SourceChild
31-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Once you reboot any Mac no matter what Mac it is, and you do not have an output device (or proxy such as a detective or parrot), Catalyst will not work.

There are situations with VGA monitors where you can disconnect while the system is on and reconnect without issue. Otherwise, you must have something connected for the GPU to report to Catalyst that the system is working.

Note you will also see this same kind of crash if your show file has a dual output config but you boot with only one monitor attached.

UPDATE: This was only happening in m331. Not an issue using a different build.

samsc
04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Note you will also see this same kind of crash if your show file has a dual output config but you boot with only one monitor attached.

dual output config? -no i dont think you ever see this crash

the screens are completely virtual and it only ever appears as one device

SourceChild
18-08-2011, 12:53 AM
dual output config? -no i dont think you ever see this crash

the screens are completely virtual and it only ever appears as one device

This was only happening in m331 (not a build anyone needs to be using). Not an issue using a different build.

samsc
20-08-2011, 08:06 AM
This was only happening in m331 (not a build anyone needs to be using). Not an issue using a different build.

hmmm not really relevant to headless things-