PDA

View Full Version : Sound!

litemover
04-04-2004, 05:13 AM
At least on 2 layers. Can't be too hard nor taxing. 4 channel would really compete with Profile.

CC

samsc
04-04-2004, 09:24 AM
At least on 2 layers. Can't be too hard nor taxing. 4 channel would really compete with Profile.

CC

the problem was that to playback sound i have to use different quicktime calls, and these different calls drop frames.....

say the movie is playing, and its at frame 1, then 2 then something slows down, it skips displaying 3 and jumps to 4. this is what quicktime does when it playback sound.

---

On 2 layers it isnt hard. i had it working years ago.

---

and then there are the highend support issues.
they found it so hard to deal with video. adding audio as well - i just didnt want to go there with them.
This really is the hardest problem ---

samsc
04-04-2004, 01:10 PM

CC
The other problem with sound from computers in a professional environment is that audible glitching of any kind is much much more noticeable than video glitches.
People can be asleep with their eyes closed and still notice audio glitching.
I couldnt find any acceptable strategy to minimise the potential for this type of thing without affecting video playback.

R

samsc
04-04-2004, 01:11 PM
4 channel would really compete with Profile.

CC
So christian, what kindof hard disc system does the profile use?

For the record.

Richard

litemover
04-04-2004, 08:01 PM
The standard SD 4 channel profile uses SCSI Ultra 120 harddrives, 5 (to 8 on different systems) of them, i think one for boot and operating system and 4 for content. It runs on Windows 2000 and has a very archaic GUI. Can be controlled by 3 different controllers, all of which have switchers in them. It can control decks which is mainly how they push HD.

Profile can record, edit, and playback video and has 4 channels of sound. Profile uses 2 codecs, Mpeg II streams and the more prefered Photo Jpeg.

Allen Wells of Fontastics.com has developed a device that he calls "Elvis" that interfaces with profile, decks, switchers, scalers, colorcorrectors, and DVE's. It's basically a way to have a very very expensive cue based system much like catalyst. It takes up the size of their own truck and costs an unbelievable amount of money to rent. He is a Nazi towards the idea of Catalyst.

Most of the truck guys think it sucks because it is so old and archaic but still fetches $4900/week for just the Box! They love the idea of some new technology, a fraction of the cost taking over.

The only reason I know about all of the EVS and Profile stuff is i have an anonymous east coast Profile operator friend who isn't part of the LA video mafia who gives me the lowdown on these systems whenever I see him. He actually taught me how to record a sequence, edit it, add a matte and fill over it and play it back on Profile.

There are many different configurations and hybrid Profiles with up to 8 scsi drives, don't know if they've made the leap to u320 yet.

CC