PDA

View Full Version : M329 - Artnet input issues

ryanww
10-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Hello all,

Just did a show with my server and ran into a new issue I haven't ever had. I had a artnet network controlling M329. On the second enet input, I had a separate network which was my control network between some network switches and my computer, plus internet to download some content and such. I would keep the 2nd network disabled while booting catalyst so it grabs the artnet network. But when I enable the other network, the software starts getting messed up artnet data. Its almost like its bad DMX on a normal dmx wired system. It just picks up random data on channels and universes and starts flipping parameters around. When I make that 2nd 192.168.88.x network inactive, its totally fine.

This seems like its some sort of bug where it isn't isolating the IO to the actual network adapter which is 2.x.x.x or well artnet compatible. I would love to see a way to select an adapter for artnet inputs and outputs.

NevBull
10-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi Ryan

what are your exact settings on the artnet port?

IP?
Netmask?
Gateway?

Nev.

SourceChild
10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Ryan,

Try using an applescript triggered by SAM that enables the other ethernet. Then write a shell script which runs with launchd that disables the port on boot.

This should work fairly easy similar to your ImagePro Scripts.

ryanww
11-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Artnet network:
blank gateway.

Additional network
192.168.88.x

Todd - It isn't a launch order issue. But that is a good idea. However, I will leave cat running, hide the hud on the main display, enable the additional network, and then as soon as its enabled, the artnet starts going nuts.

Is it because I don't have a gateway address on it? It really shouldn't matter though.. still listening to the same data. Oh and my hog is set to unicast only to that 2.0.0.10 address with universes 0,0-0,2.

Mr_P
11-05-2011, 09:48 AM
If you only have the hog connected - and no other artnet devices, ensure that the hog has an artnet address in the same range: 2.0.0.x and try setting the subnet mask on the artnet adaptor to 255.255.255.0

Is the additional network DHCP assigned?
It seems that this takes precedence, even when network service order if set to artnet adaptor. Try making it a static address if appropriate.

Are you sure that theres nothing connected to the 'additional network' that may be generating artnet?

S

SourceChild
12-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Forget Gateway address. That only pertains to routing network traffic from one network to another. ArtNet doesn't have anything to do with that.

Simon is right about tightening the subnet though but with only a few devices, it won't make a difference. If you wanted to you could even go as tight as 255.255.255.252 which is the subnet for only two addresses x.x.x.1 and x.x.x.2 but this is still not necessary.

255.255.255.0 is fine because it works for all the addresses in the last subnet. x.x.x.1 - x.x.x.254.

A question... Is there a reason you're using ArtNet 0 universe 1-3? Could you try something higher than 4 for the universe or try switching the Artnet subnet to something higher than 0? The reason I ask is because Catalyst has a default of broadcasting to the first 4 universes so making a change from this helps alleviate problems.

Mr_P
12-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Good point... Are you having problems with artnet on ALL the universes or just one?

As Todd mentions, try changing artnet universes to a higher number...

s

ryanww
13-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Sorry, been busy so its taken me a bit to get back.

the hog is like 2.0.0.1 manually assigned.. No gateway either. And thats what I have figured. On startup though of catalyst, whichever interface that has a gateway does become the 'main' adapter cat uses.. Thus why I turn off the other on startup.

There isn't anything generating any DMX of any sort on the other network. It does have like 10 vlans on it with heavy multicasting on some of them (not the one the PVID of the port I am using is assigned to however). The multicasting is for some video stuff.

The ghost artnet is appearing on all sorts of universes. I just look at the DMX window and all the universes were pretty much flickering up and down. I can set it to universe 16-18 or something and try that.. but I doubt that will solve it.

I could manually assign the other network, as its currently getting a DHCP address.. I don't believe however that this will affect it any differently as its still on the same network and address range. I am using a PFSense router which is a pretty robust linux routing platform.

My whole thing is why is catalyst listening to multiple adapters, and especially since the other one is not a 10. or a 2. network and its changing the artnet adapter.. I understand catalyst is still going to communicate with them with the IO for accessories and web server.. But as far as the actual artnet.

As a side note, I have a 24 port switch sectioned off with 2 vlans on a Procurve 1810-24g. One is the Hognet side, the other is the artnet side. All my other switching and routing and vlans I am referring to are on a separate Cisco SG300 series switch.

I won't have this rig set up till the 9th of next month again.. I will play with it some more and see if I can figure it out a little bit. Just seems a bit weird to me.

Mr_P
13-05-2011, 07:53 PM
I think you need to go back to basics - and simplify your non-artnet control network... Its never a good idea connecting to the internet with show macs.

Catalyst listens to the 1st network adaptor available as defined by network preferences.
You can set the service order manually - but there is no way of locking catalyst to a particular network port (unless you turn all the rest off) Its an OS issue.

I guess you are doing this already - but for others who are reading:
Catalsyt doesnt actually have to be on a 2.x.x.x address to receive artnet (just so long as one of the network ports is set up in this range) This is how you can split artnet from Sync ID and 'control' if the other network port is set to a non-artnet IP address (192.x.x.x)

S

SourceChild
13-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Ryan,

You are having packet collisions. Unfortunately to operate effectively on a multi vlan network like this you'll need to be using Layer 3 or higher switches.

In effect, Artnet is such a dumb protocol that Catalyst seeing misc packets from other devices and it's interpreting those as legitimate data.

Try changing the gateway address of the hog to itself and then change the gateway address of the Cats to the hog as well. This won't mean anything but it will make the Cat ethernet adaptors thing that routing needs to go through the Hog. Nothing will happen since you're not technically processing any TCP but nevertheless, it will put a stop to other devices interfering.

Also, make sure all your other devices are on a different subnet. Only the ArtNet out and Artnet In devices need to be on the same subnet. This way you can get away with an L2 switch that will work fine.

ajmaudio
27-10-2011, 04:45 AM
I think you need to go back to basics - and simplify your non-artnet control network... Its never a good idea connecting to the internet with show macs.

Catalyst listens to the 1st network adaptor available as defined by network preferences.
You can set the service order manually - but there is no way of locking catalyst to a particular network port (unless you turn all the rest off) Its an OS issue.

I guess you are doing this already - but for others who are reading:
Catalsyt doesnt actually have to be on a 2.x.x.x address to receive artnet (just so long as one of the network ports is set up in this range) This is how you can split artnet from Sync ID and 'control' if the other network port is set to a non-artnet IP address (192.x.x.x)

S

Are you saying if one ethernet prt is set to 2.x.x.x and the other is 192.x.x.x that cat will send sync date via the latter? I think I am missing something... Please clarify as this info would be very useful to me currently

mlorenz
27-10-2011, 02:28 PM
If you set ethernet 1 to 2.x.x.x and ethernet two to 192.x.x.x or dhcp all the sync infos for layers, remote etc will work with ethernet two.

This is how I setup my system all the time.

Mr_P
27-10-2011, 02:53 PM
yes -
But I think with m364 there are now options to make this easier...

S

ajmaudio
30-10-2011, 05:42 AM
yes -
But I think with m364 there are now options to make this easier...

S

Please elaborate. Thanks for the responses

Mr_P
30-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Look in the 'remote' dropdown box on the catalyts control window.
Not documented - but fairly self explanitory
(see pic)

Simon