PDA

View Full Version : RSS in user text

jajasiek
20-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi
I'm looking for possibility enter on-line text on graphic. Example from rss channel or from database.
I hope catalyst get this feature soon.
Jan

NevBull
21-02-2011, 04:08 PM
you could always make a Quartz Composer movie up with the RSS feed coming in

Nev.

samsc
25-02-2011, 09:15 AM
you need to write your own scripts to do this kindof thing

rss is a complex format - and needs a lot of scripting

kiwi
25-02-2011, 10:20 AM
you need to write your own scripts to do this kindof thing

rss is a complex format - and needs a lot of scripting

Richard,
do you mean scripts for Quartz Composer? or are you saying you could put a script directly into the user text vis fx?
perhaps RSS is something that could be added in the same fashion as user text, or in the fx designer?

jajasiek,
I have needed to do this before where a live news ticker was required. I used a pc running a cheap RSS reader outputting the ticker in full screen and simply sent that output into an SDI live input in catalyst.
For my purposes it kept all the networking much simpler, and was easy to do because I happened to have the kit to do it available.
-Perhaps this isn't an option for you?

regards
Paul

samsc
25-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Richard,
do you mean scripts for Quartz Composer? or are you saying you could put a script directly into the user text vis fx?
perhaps RSS is something that could be added in the same fashion as user text, or in the fx designer?

jajasiek,
I have needed to do this before where a live news ticker was required. I used a pc running a cheap RSS reader outputting the ticker in full screen and simply sent that output into an SDI live input in catalyst.
For my purposes it kept all the networking much simpler, and was easy to do because I happened to have the kit to do it available.
-Perhaps this isn't an option for you?

regards
Paul

try writing your own rss script from scratch - any way you want - to read a source and output some text
in a format you want to display it-

samsc
25-02-2011, 10:39 AM
rss - has 'simple' in the acronym - so it must be... hah hah

read some docs- its nothing of the sort-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

There are several different versions of RSS, falling into two major branches (RDF and 2.*).
The RDF (or RSS 1.*) branch includes the following versions:
RSS 0.90 was the original Netscape RSS version. This RSS was called RDF Site Summary, but was based on an early working draft of the RDF standard, and was not compatible with the final RDF Recommendation.
RSS 1.0 is an open format by the RSS-DEV Working Group, again standing for RDF Site Summary. RSS 1.0 is an RDF format like RSS 0.90, but not fully compatible with it, since 1.0 is based on the final RDF 1.0 Recommendation.
RSS 1.1 is also an open format and is intended to update and replace RSS 1.0. The specification is an independent draft not supported or endorsed in any way by the RSS-Dev Working Group or any other organization.
The RSS 2.* branch (initially UserLand, now Harvard) includes the following versions:
RSS 0.91 is the simplified RSS version released by Netscape, and also the version number of the simplified version originally championed by Dave Winer from Userland Software. The Netscape version was now called Rich Site Summary; this was no longer an RDF format, but was relatively easy to use.
RSS 0.92 through 0.94 are expansions of the RSS 0.91 format, which are mostly compatible with each other and with Winer's version of RSS 0.91, but are not compatible with RSS 0.90.
RSS 2.0.1 has the internal version number 2.0. RSS 2.0.1 was proclaimed to be "frozen", but still updated shortly after release without changing the version number. RSS now stood for Really Simple Syndication. The major change in this version is an explicit extension mechanism using XML namespaces.[22]
For the most part, later versions in each branch are backward-compatible with earlier versions (aside from non-conformant RDF syntax in 0.90), and both versions include properly documented extension mechanisms using XML Namespaces, either directly (in the 2.* branch) or through RDF (in the 1.* branch). Most syndication software supports both branches. "The Myth of RSS Compatibility", an article written in 2004 by RSS critic and Atom advocate Mark Pilgrim, discusses RSS version compatibility issues in more detail.
The extension mechanisms make it possible for each branch to track innovations in the other. For example, the RSS 2.* branch was the first to support enclosures, making it the current leading choice for podcasting, and as of 2005 is the format supported for that use by iTunes and other podcasting software; however, an enclosure extension is now available for the RSS 1.* branch, mod_enclosure. Likewise, the RSS 2.* core specification does not support providing full-text in addition to a synopsis, but the RSS 1.* markup can be (and often is) used as an extension. There are also several common outside extension packages available, including a new proposal from Microsoft for use in Internet Explorer 7.

samsc
25-02-2011, 01:03 PM
you could always make a Quartz Composer movie up with the RSS feed coming in

Nev.

its not just reading the rss source
it needs to be displayed in an appropriate way too

rss feeds contain all sorts of stuff - often including full text

needs to be formatted and parsed...