PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to mask output

anderskjems
19-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I need to make a mask that I can change every day on tour. For the moment I am using a black image with a transparent square in the middle. But it is tricky to adjust because all corners of my transparent mask in the middle of the imagemove when I move one corner of the entire image.

Hope this makes sence.

Best regards

Anders Kjems

Mr_P
19-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Can you send me a picture or screenshot

I think you might have to use 2 layers for the masking in this scenario

1 - for outside mask - with a bigger transparent area which you can keystone
2 - for the inner mask - with the existing transparent area, which you can keep the same

hopefully you have enough image to be able to adjust the scale between the layers to maintain a mask around all of it

S

anderskjems
19-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I have drawn a small image of the setup just to make sure that you understand my problem. I know I can fix my problem with four layers that covers one side of the masking job each. But what I was hoping for some kind of color fx maybe in the software that makes an image (eg an all white image) transparent and all which is outside this image black.

I dont want to keystone my image just mask it.

Best regards

Anders Kjems

David Monguet
19-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Did you tried using crop? You could crop your image as you shown in your picture.

Mr_P
19-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Ah - now I understand what you are trying to do...

Visual FX 070 is a black mask which works with the same keystone points... put it on the layer above the content and use keystone points to adjust.

Do you not also need to keystone the image too??

for reference:
Visual FX 195-202 - Crop - allows you to crop the content without changing the scale - this might be another way to do it...

Visual FX 001 gives an infinite black border around the outside of the content no matter what the scale - so you wont see layers beneeth

Simon

prodigal2
19-01-2011, 09:43 PM
The way I personally like to deal with situations like this is to use dummy mixes for masking, the cost for your situation would be 2 mixes(background transparent, Keystone mix type) and 1 layer(set to black scaled as large as possible and routed to the 2 mixes).

If you have line of sight with your screens from your HUD its a 30 second job and then save preferences. Or you can use the web interface as you have full mix controls there for the keystoning, its only numeric but you can either type hard values or scrub your mouse to find the sweet spot, and that should be a quick solution once you get upto speed with x1 x2 etc.

For daily masks I prefer to use mixes that are set on the show machine with uppermost priority as there no chance of a programming related mistake happening, your masks will ALWAYS uppermost, and you can always change content without concerning yourself with the masking on a certain layer.

Phil
Philip G Haynes
Live Visual Design and Direction

anderskjems
20-01-2011, 08:58 AM
@ Simon:

It workes perfectly with the visual fx 70 :) You just spared me a headache a day!

Thanks.

@prodigal2:

I see your point and I will certainly try it next time.

Thanks for the fast response to all of you.

Best regards

Anders Kjems