PDA

View Full Version : Converting in Catalyst

technick
13-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Recently I discovered the joys of being able to convert file codecs and sizes within catalyst (Thanks Simon!).

However there is one small glitch.

Because catalyst adds a note after the file extension some software stops recognising the files.

I'm sure what catalyst does is completely apple legal and its other poorly written code thats at fault.

the good news is some nice person wrote an automator function to replace extensions.

its not part of the stock automator functions so I thought id post it here.

I'll also post my file renumberer.

Both are drag and drop apps. ie you drag a folder onto the app and it does its thing.

ryanww
13-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Just FYI, for some reason the change to mov won't open up in automator on my computer.. Comes up with an error saying it needs to be re-installed.. Just curious what the steps were that you are doing.

technick
13-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Interesting...

it uses a step i downloaded from apple site.

Look for Junecloud automator actions.

I thought the app version might work on any mac....

I was wrong!

SourceChild
27-01-2011, 03:49 AM
A better practice is to use the application "A Better Finder Rename" to change the name of the new file.

http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/

I have been using this application since I started using Catalyst at it's beginning. I have about a dozen settings that I either enable to disable to change the file names and their extensions.

Oh and FYI, the file conversion that Catalyst does is actually being done by the Quicktime Framework at the core of the OS X Operating System. Catalyst is just running a tool which calls these services to perform the conversion.

The renaming of the files is a tool so that Catalyst Users can recognize different files.