PDA

View Full Version : New Mac & Dongle Question

ljb2of3
10-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Hey all, got some questions for you.

First, a little background:

We've been using Cat4 Pro on a Mac Pro (dual proc, dual core, purchased right before the dual quad core became available) running some sort of ATI card. I think we're running OSX 10.4. Originally we were using a single analog TH2G to run three projectors on output 2. Then, about 4 months ago we got a second analog TH2G and started running six outputs from a single Catalyst server.

For our shows we are doing scenic projections, mostly static images, much smaller than the output size. The general approach has been zooming the projector out far enough to cover a large area, then using the keystone effect to place the image on a much smaller area, typically some set piece that moves around during the show. The point is... we don't need HD playback, or even anything close to it.

On to the questions:

We're needing to get a new Catalyst machine, so far there are a few options...

One is to do a 1:1 replacement, and just get another Mac Pro and run all six outputs. Given what we already own, and what we are already doing, this seems to be the most cost effective. However, I've been reading though the forums and it seems that I'm going to run into issues with using a pair of TH2Gs on the same box. So, consider a brand new Mac Pro, snow leopard, ATI grahphics cards, and two analog TH2Gs... Can anyone set the record straight on what works and what doesn't?

Alternative options... buy two mac pros and do one TH2G each, or even buy six mac minis, one for each projector. Now the dongle becomes an issue... I doubt we'd be able to budget multiple dongles like this. So a couple of questions were raised. We're a university... any sort of educational discounts / network dongle options? Or, is it possible to trade a pro dongle in for multiple dongles of a lower level? If we're not driving 6 projectors from the same server I don't need 32 layers, since I only need a few layers per projector.

I'm also looking for current pricing information, the link on the homepage seems to be broken.

Sorry for the long post, just lots of questions I need answers to.

Thanks,
Landy

Mr_P
11-01-2011, 02:34 AM
Landy

Contact me separately and I can go through this with you and look at the best options available

Simon

NevBull
11-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Hello Landy

there is alot of info on CatVX regarding the current issues with graphics cards. Until the problems are resolved, I would hang fire if you can! Then we may have a better idea of what cards can do what with what hardware!!

with regards to pricing, you need to shop around as discounts varies between resellers.

Nev.

samsc
11-01-2011, 11:14 PM
not much point in hanging on -

there is never a perfect solution

hdmcc
12-01-2011, 01:28 AM
On the subject of pricing and what not, are there any sellers in Australia any more? If not where would be the best place too go?

Thanks.

Hamish

NevBull
13-01-2011, 07:36 AM
I have a couple of customers in Australia - and can always ship dongles out

Nev.