PDA

View Full Version : DVI Detective

Paul Breen
06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi all, Im looking at buying s dvi detective, but im unsure which to get. Obviously I should go for one with hdcp compliance but which to go for. Gefen's Plus is $129 and TMB's is something like £298, which is way over twice the price. One specific thing I need it for is feeding an incredibly annoying led wall which is picky about its signals. Has anyone experience with these? What would you recommend?

NevBull
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I only use the Parrots these days. Having the ability to program it with a laptop without the need to 'learn' a monitor makes it alot more usable than the DVI Det's. Also being able to set it to one specific resolution helps with macs starting up in the wrong res when in an installation.

Nev.

Paul Breen
07-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Have you ever used the Gefen for comparison? Is there any drawbacks to the parrot? Also whats the deal with the price, its so bloody expensive!

Mr_P
07-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Gefen DVI detective is fine - and has been around for a few years. Its relatively easy to program - just a button push and it copies the device EDID. Thats it...
Price point is about £84 (cheaper if one purchases in bulk...) Lots of resellers.

The Kramer VA1DVI is the same as the DVI detective, made under licence from Gefen by Kramer.

The Pharos Parot is better:
http://www.dviparrot.com/
It can also be easily programmed with just a button push, which copies the device EDID.
However, it is also user programmable via USB using the 'Parrot training' software - allowing custom resolutions to be programmed which cant easily be done with the other two products.
Price point is higher: aprox £176.00 each (cheaper if one purchases in bulk...)
...but it is a more flexible product - not that expensive
if TBM are quoting £298 - you are being ripped off.!

TIPS:
You can use a programmed parrot to program a DVI detective...
- Program the parrot as required with custom resolution
- connect a Gefen or Kramer DVI detective
- capture the EDID with the DVI detective from the Parrot.

So if you already own DVI detectives, it can be easer to program them with custom resolutions using a Pharos Parrot.

You can also use any of the above to prevent a mac from enabling HDCP when not required, if using a system which includes both HDCP and non-HDCP compliant equipment. (ie DVI over cat5 or DVI fibres)

Do let me know if you need more info

Simon

NevBull
08-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Hi Paul

yes - I had been using DVI Det's up until the Parrot was developed - and have not found any drawbacks yet!!

I am not sure where your price of £298 came from - but I would shop around!!

Nev.

Paul Breen
08-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Got that price from TMB, have an account there, plus £31 odd for shipping to Ireland. How much did you pay? Maybe it was a typo in the email to me woth price, hope so!