PDA

View Full Version : Running content via Network

hdmcc
01-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Hi All.

I was just wondering if when running (for example) 2 Catalysts, 1 as your main and 1 as a live back up, is it possible to have all the content on a 3rd machine (with scsi or solid state hdd and gigabit networking) or is the connection (1gb/s of course) not fast enough?

Thanks.

Hamish

kiwi
01-01-2011, 04:42 AM
it is "possible", but your performance will suffer greatly.

The best solution is to mount an SSD is each machine and copy the same content to each using a syncing program on a third machine (normally an edit machine)

I do tracking backup servers as standard in my systems so pm me if you want more info

Paul

samsc
01-01-2011, 05:29 PM
you can test it out for yourself to see how well content plays from a mounted networked drive
what you see is what you get-

what works depends on what you need - dont be optimistic

you can also see what data rates you get copying from a network disc to a local disc- that will give you some idea of network overhead.
-

hdmcc
02-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys :) i think ill probably just go with identical drives. i was just wondering what people thought of it haha.

Cheers.

samsc
02-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Thanks guys :) i think ill probably just go with identical drives. i was just wondering what people thought of it haha.

Cheers.

i dont know - i havent tested it recently-

ssd's pretty much made everything else redundant-

hdmcc
02-01-2011, 07:42 AM
are you still able 2 get scsi drives around the place? and if so whats the price comparison between scsi and ssd?

samsc
02-01-2011, 05:45 PM
are you still able 2 get scsi drives around the place? and if so whats the price comparison between scsi and ssd?

scsi is dead - dont even go there- if you have them - bin them-

check amazon.com for ssd prices

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ocz&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ssd&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Assd

hdmcc
03-01-2011, 01:57 AM
haha ok. i mite be able to get my boss to convert to SSD on the old one, the new one should be easier as it doesnt have either yet :D

samsc
03-01-2011, 09:58 AM
bin scsi -

ssd are 2-3 times performance of scsi - even in ancient computers - and they plug straight into computer without needed an interface card

hard discs - rotating discs - have been the bottleneck for computers for many years-