PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Snow Leopard?

MattMills
03-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I am about to build another Catalyst and wanted to get some info about a few things.

Is there any benefit to upgrading to Snow Leopard? On my current machine I am at Leopard 10.5.8, just wondering if I should try to find a Leopard install disc for my new machine.

Heres what I currently have and am happy with the results. Could you guys have a look and tell me where I might want to upgrade on the new machine? Thanks in advance for any help, Matt

Mac Pro 1.1
Dual Core Intel Xeon 2.66GHz
8 Gigs of Ram
ATI Radon X1900 XT 512MB VRAM

Im using the HD that came with it for my OS and all Applications and I am using an 80 gig Intel SSD for the content that is actually being played back.

Anywhere you guys think I could upgrade? I was real impressed with the bang for the buck i got out of the SSD.

Mr_P
03-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Stick with Leopard 10.5.8
otherwise you may have to upgrade your graphics card too...

Your Mac Spec is fine - there is no 'need' to upgrade your hardware unless you really want to.

Simon

samsc
03-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Stick with Leopard 10.5.8
otherwise you will have to upgrade your graphics card too...

Your Mac Spec is fine - there is no 'need' to upgrade your hardware unless you really want to.

Simon

i dont believe the x1900 has graphics issues resulting from snow leopard changes -

samsc
03-12-2010, 09:02 PM
I am about to build another Catalyst and wanted to get some info about a few things.

Is there any benefit to upgrading to Snow Leopard? On my current machine I am at Leopard 10.5.8, just wondering if I should try to find a Leopard install disc for my new machine.

Heres what I currently have and am happy with the results. Could you guys have a look and tell me where I might want to upgrade on the new machine? Thanks in advance for any help, Matt

Mac Pro 1.1
Dual Core Intel Xeon 2.66GHz
8 Gigs of Ram
ATI Radon X1900 XT 512MB VRAM

Im using the HD that came with it for my OS and all Applications and I am using an 80 gig Intel SSD for the content that is actually being played back.

Anywhere you guys think I could upgrade? I was real impressed with the bang for the buck i got out of the SSD.

this is an original v1 macpro - which wont gain anything from being upgraded.

MattMills
03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Would i gain anything by buying a newer (not newest) Mac Pro? Worth the bang for the buck? I was only looking at the same model because I have been real happy with it so far.