PDA

View Full Version : SYNC to SMPTE

technick
28-10-2010, 08:55 AM
About to do a show where we need to sync to smpte.

All looks pretty straight forward just set layer to sync to smpte and sit back..

Anything I'm missing??

Obviously I'm getting a decent smpte distro box to make sure levels are good.

I've used the mac audio input for smpte on other software before with no problems..

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mr_P
28-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Catalyst reads SMPTE timecode via the sound line input.
You need to enable 'line in' via system preferences
Then turn on sound in the 'inputs' window on the HUD (next tab along from video inputs)
You should then see timecode being read in the timecode device in the catalyst control window/list (also can be seen in at the bottom of the stats view on the HUD)

To link a clip to timecode you must select the playmode: 'Sync to SMPTE L' (right does not work in m257.... Richard may have fixed this in later release....)
The inframe value then becomes the sync point.
ie if you need to synchronise a clip to start at 10sec, you would set the inframe value to 250frames (assuming 25fps timecode) or 300frames (if 30fps timecode)

The inframe also allows you to adjust the sync point of the clip if required - just by changing the frame value...

The problem occurs when you get to about 43mins... because you run out of 16bit values with which to sync. 65536(16bit)=about 43mins at 25fps

So avoid syncing anything beyond 43 mins (25fps) o 36mins (30fps)
You will need to jump timecode to the next hour to continue.

Catalyst ignores the "hours" for syncing timecode using 'inframe'
but not in a cuelist.

There is the ability to introduce an offset - but this can get VERY complicated...

In short - sync to smpte for movies less than 42 mins (@25fps) works fine... you will need to experiment for syncing longer movies.

You should always ensure that your timecode = movie fps rate = refresh rate
ie SMPTE 25fps = 25fps movie = 50Hz or 75Hz ouptut

For Catalyst cuelists - this works in a similar way - but the timecode controls the cuelist and the hour is not ignored in this case...

Do call if you need some assistance

Regards

Simon

technick
28-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Simon

Thanks again for your help.

So I can't sync to the embedded time code?

Or do i just leave the inframe at 0 to do this?

Nick

Mr_P
28-10-2010, 06:27 PM
what do you mean 'embedded timecode'?

usually you would be syncing to external timecode via sound port (or midi)

can you explain?
do you mean sync to timecode on a clip you are playing in catalyst??

s

technick
28-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Yes the clips are striped with timecode.

Apparently they are being played back on some unknown media server by timecode!

We would just use that but we have 3 HD projectors so using 3 catalysts as we have live input on HDi and multiple layers so being a little nervous about glitching.

Other wise I would just use a time code list on the MA to control it - easier than trying to do maths to work out frame values!

technick
28-10-2010, 08:39 PM
So to be clear...

The clips have timecode built in (25fps SMPTE)

The timecode source is a pro tools system. (i think)

Input will be on Mac audio input (left channel!)

Thanks again for your help Simon.

Mr_P
28-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Sounds fine...

It doesnt matter about the video clips having timecode built in...
(although this may help you externally to find the sync point if not the start...)

If protools is the timecode generator - you just have to sync the clips using the method previously explained above...

et voila!

Let me know if you need further support

Simon

technick
28-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Simon

thanks....

Think I'll just trigger from the console then... can just type in the value!

I thought you could sync to the code within the clip.

Ah well.

Nick

Mr_P
28-10-2010, 11:07 PM
you can sync to the code on a clip - its a different playmode - but I dont understand why you would need to if you have external timecode....

am I missing something?

to sync a clip on catalyst to external timecode - select the sync to SMPTE L and dial in the sync point (in frames) using inframe

If triggering from the console - theres no guarantee that the clips will stay exactly in sync - you could also use Sync ID to do this...

S

technick
29-10-2010, 07:46 AM
What is happening is one of the bands is providing a bunch of media with timecode embedded in it to be synced to their tracks.

I was hoping catalyst would look at the embedded time code and work out the sync for itself! ie look at the values in the track and when it receives those values play those frames.

I'm very lazy! I'll just have to write a little spread sheet to calculate the in frame points as there are quite a few clips...

I take your point about not remaining in sync if triggered from desk.

Thanks again.

Nick

Spam Butterfly
29-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Catalyst will happily chase timecode whatever frames it's at. The key is to give it a trigger point.

You can do this by putting LTC up the chuff of your lighting console, or use a Catalyst cuelist.
Simply get a lighting board cue, for example, to play a clip at the relevant timecode frame. Most decent lighting consoles can lock to LTC very quickly. Make sure you pipe LTC into Catalyst via the line in, as Simon suggests and then use the sync to LTC playmodes to get your movie clip to chase the code. It will do this irrespective of the timecode value if you do not use Inframe/Outframe. Personally I find the Inframe/Outframe feature of the MTC/LTC and sync to Sony playmodes a waste of time.

If you use presets, it's easy to make a cuelist that will trigger presets on particular timecode frame - just like you do on a lighting console.

Hugh

Mr_P
29-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Simon suggests and then use the sync to LTC playmodes to get your movie clip to chase the code. It will do this irrespective of the timecode value if you do not use Inframe/Outframe.

Hugh

It wont chase unless you specify an inframe value... (unless its 00.00.00:00)

The inframe defines the start point to sync - if timecode is running at a value greater than the movie - it wont play if the inframe is unset (or 0) - unless you "enable SMPTE looping outside movie length'...

What is happening is one of the bands is providing a bunch of media with timecode embedded in it to be synced to their tracks.

I was hoping catalyst would look at the embedded time code and work out the sync for itself! ie look at the values in the track and when it receives those values play those frames.

Nick

Nice idea - but I dont think its currently possible as you describe...

... but it would save a lot of time

Richard - is this possible??

S

Mr_P
29-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Correction:

Apparently this is possible in the private custom/beta test version...

Haven't tested it yet - do contact Richard if this is what you need to do

(always learning....)

S

technick
29-10-2010, 01:16 PM
OOOH thats exciting....

I'll mail him now!

SourceChild
08-11-2010, 10:16 AM
There are methods to treat Catalyst like a playback deck in the custom versions. A few words to the wise is don't use a custom version unless you specifically need to. Also, reduce the number of layers you depend on when using the TC features. You'll see less headaches.