PDA

View Full Version : Double sided tile

downie
30-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I have been asked if it possible to create the appearance of a tile of video, yet when rotating through one axis (effectively looking at the back) there is a different video playing.

I note that there is an option to do 4 layers on a cube, and wondered whether there were settings that could be applied to reduce the number of sides.

Any help much appreciated.

Andy

NevBull
31-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Hi Andy

My thought was to use Aspect to make the layer appear to be rotating. If working with presets/cue lists, I would make 3 presets - two layers, one with each movie playing.

Preset 1:Layer one has Aspect set to 0 with fade time of 2 (or whatever) and layer 2 has aspect set to 128, fade time of 2.
Preset 2: Has both layers with Aspect set to 128 over 2 secs
Preset 3: Layer one has Aspect set to 128 with fade time of 2 (or whatever) and layer 2 has aspect set to 0
, fade time of 2.

Make a cue list, cue 1 triggering preset 1, cue 2 triggering preset 2, cue 3 triggering preset 3, cue 4 triggering preset 2, then looping back to cue 1. this would make the first layer scale up on the X axis , then scale down on the x axis, then the same for the second layer - giving the impression of a rotating tile.

this could of course be done from a DMX console using a simple chase/effect sequence.

I hope this helps

Nev.

samsc
04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I have been asked if it possible to create the appearance of a tile of video, yet when rotating through one axis (effectively looking at the back) there is a different video playing.

I note that there is an option to do 4 layers on a cube, and wondered whether there were settings that could be applied to reduce the number of sides.

Andy

when i wrote this many years ago - i tried to keep parameters down-

what is needed is a cube with 2 or more movies playing on different selectable sides from different layers....

ajmaudio
05-08-2010, 04:02 AM
That would be very helpful Richard.... Does this mean we can look forward to this in the future? :D

SourceChild
15-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Create a 3D object which is a 4:3 plane. When you create a map on the object, assign a 4:3 rectangle above the X axis to one side of the plane. Assign a 4:3 rectangle below the X axis to the other side.

Use the VFX to assign another mix to the layer.

In the alternate mix, assign 2 layers and position a Y offset to each to put them above an below the X axis respectively.

Then just set the Y rotate to spin and you have your effect.

If you make these mix assignments as presets then you can even use a DMX preset trigger with very little headache.

What's better is that you can make as many of these as you can by replicating the process.

ajmaudio
16-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Create a 3D object which is a 4:3 plane. When you create a map on the object, assign a 4:3 rectangle above the X axis to one side of the plane. Assign a 4:3 rectangle below the X axis to the other side.

Use the VFX to assign another mix to the layer.

In the alternate mix, assign 2 layers and position a Y offset to each to put them above an below the X axis respectively.

Then just set the Y rotate to spin and you have your effect.

If you make these mix assignments as presets then you can even use a DMX preset trigger with very little headache.

What's better is that you can make as many of these as you can by replicating the process.

Interested in this but not quite following your method here??

SourceChild
16-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Interested in this but not quite following your method here??

Try looking at this Figure I've attached

samsc
25-08-2010, 11:47 PM

Andy

i looked at how the 4 movies on a cube works-

it uses the first four layers ( layers 1 2 3 4 ) - this was written when catalyst only had 4 layers...

and it puts them on the side of a cube-

so if you make layers 1 and 3 - 2 and 4 - the same - you have what you need?

you can then use y rotate to rotate around-

what would you need that was different from this?