PDA

View Full Version : Citp

JeffN
13-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I know this has been asked about before - Any hope of this in the future?

Mick Murray
14-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Hi, I guess like others in this forum I'm looking to import video stream from catalyst to a Visualiser, in this case catalyst. Catalyst in v 25 has implemented
split screens similar to mixes in Catalyst, where you can dial in a part of a video file or CITP screen or video capture stream to a particular part of a led video wall or a video screen allowing previs of video with light.
Wysiwyg has capapbility for CITP/MSEX/StFr Stream Frame video content from media server video subscriptions. Is there any plans to implement Citp / Msex or am i better going down the Video capture route
Thanks
Mick

Ejberendsen
16-04-2010, 11:41 AM
This would be a great feature. Since we uses Wysiwyg, and ESP will get it in soon as wel. It will help us to show the costumers what they can suspect of the video set, together with the lightset. I know that Lightconvers uses Hmap2, so maybe it's possible to get this in as well.

EJ Berendsen

SourceChild
18-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I have created several workflows for passing multiple Catalysts mixes into visualizers. Some are simple and other are complex.

I have templates for 3D studio Max, Vectorworks, Cinema 4D, and Maya. For Vectorworks and Max, my templates are both independent and integrated with ESP Vision. For C4D, Maya, and ESP my templates are Mac based.

I also have templates to use a Spyder as a preproduction device for output integration and a stacked Catalyst. In virtual mode my configurations are for up to 16 Cat mixes. In hardware mode using Spyder and a stacked Cat, I can do 12 mixes.

Many of my workflows are commercially available and I provide training. In addition, I also seek out others to help me develop standards in this framework.

Please contact me off list if you are interested in more information. Note that I have limited availability until May 12th.

hdmcc
17-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Hi all.

I was wondering if there is any progress on CITP/MSEX for catalyst? not for visualizer support but for console communication.

My work is going too be buying a new console shortly which has its own media server section (its not chamsys btw) and it would be great if i could use that instead of having it has a fixture.

Thanks.

Hamish

Mr_P
18-10-2010, 09:34 AM
CITP built in to Catalyst would be extremely useful addition...

I use Chamsys desks, which are excellent when used with Catalyst - and it would certainly be of great benefit to the operation and usability if (when) implemented.

There are some processing overhead concerns - but if it was a user configurable option (ie on/off) There are a great number of users who want to see this feature for all sorts of applications.

Look forward to seeing CITP implemented soon!...

Simon

Mick Murray
19-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah, i agree with Simon. I recently programmed a shopw with a lot of video using an output from catalyst into Wysiwyg, i had to use a capture card and the whole process was a bit of a pain in the ass, CITP would be very useful if implemented and this again is something that would be turned on for previsualisation / selling to the client and could be turned off during the real "gig" , Other lesser media servers are quickly catching up with processing power, multiple outputs and some features exceeding catalyst like pixel blend ( when slowing down clips) Catalyst is somewhat elitist as a media server as there are few that know how it works and how to get the most out of all the features. I've spent quite a while getting my head around everything it does and getting the best of these features. I've crawled forums to get a better picture for best setup / ways of achieving certain things. I've invested a lot of money in a decent server / ssd / flight case etc. I've pushed catalyst over other media servers , i've trained people to get them interested, get them hiring the equipment and still there is a huge lack of documentation
/ knowledge base available to the newcomer to learn. So when something like CITP comes along i dont think a refusal to implement it is fair, i think its a given if Catalyst is to stay ahead...........

Mr_P
19-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Other lesser media servers are quickly catching up with processing power, multiple outputs and some features exceeding catalyst like pixel blend ( when slowing down clips)

There is some progress here... ask Richard for a 'custom / beta' version... a number of people have been testing it.

Catalyst is somewhat elitist as a media server as there are few that know how it works and how to get the most out of all the features. I've spent quite a while getting my head around everything it does and getting the best of these features. I've crawled forums to get a better picture for best setup / ways of achieving certain things.

I've invested a lot of money in a decent server / ssd / flight case etc. I've pushed catalyst over other media servers , i've trained people to get them interested, get them hiring the equipment and still there is a huge lack of documentation / knowledge base available to the newcomer to learn.

Documentation is a BIG issue....
It takes ages to write it - then its quickly out of date...
HOWEVER - it has to be done.
Even if someone is 'employed' to write it....

So when something like CITP comes along i dont think a refusal to implement it is fair, i think its a given if Catalyst is to stay ahead...........

New features take time to implement and test thoroughly -

The release version (m257) of Catalyst is a stable and reliable piece of software.

Stability and reliability takes time....

gillekes
19-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Citp would be highly appreciated.:)
Gilles

NevBull
20-10-2010, 09:49 AM
You mention lack of Knowledge base - is this forum not an excellent example of just that? Real questions from users and in the most, very helpful answers from a growing number of users.

Ok - so a current manual is not available, BUT show me another media server product with such a good accessible user forum.

Nev.

peppe
23-10-2010, 05:44 PM
I was informed it is a license issue with this, I tought that : "CITP is an open protocol for integration of lighting controllers, media servers and visualizers on a higher-than-control level.

I heard the PRG is involved in this...Just curios about this....

samsc
09-11-2010, 09:23 PM
it would not be a surprise in the show technology business if someone made intellectual property claims on protocols and such things-

but citp just isnt actually sorted out yet to be useful to anyone- its not a great way of doing things -
at the moment it just causes a headache for everyone who claims to use it.
the reality somewhat different from the press.

ljb2of3
18-04-2011, 05:16 PM
I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but I'd like to add my support to the request for CITP streaming from Catalyst.

I use Capture for lighting all the time, but I also do a lot of shows locally where I only do Catalyst work, using a large-ish system (6 projectors, 4 Catalyst servers) Being able to do programming ahead of time in Capture would be a huge help.

Capture Polar 2.5 adds the ability to create projectors in the scene that project the CITP stream. Watch the last 45 seconds of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl2KbqqOjOM

Jim Cozad
27-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi Richard,
Please implement Citp.
Thank you!
Jim

samsc
05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi Richard,
Please implement Citp.
Thank you!
Jim

it would be much more useful if lighting consoles/visualisation systems got to grips with VNC- and wrote a VNC client to read screens-
its a simple open protocol- search for RFB protocol- remote frame buffer-
Its already built-in to the mac os

then they could preview whatever you wanted- on any screen anywhere- and real resolution-

gazzer82
14-10-2011, 07:22 PM
it would be much more useful if lighting consoles/visualisation systems got to grips with VNC- and wrote a VNC client to read screens-
its a simple open protocol- search for RFB protocol- remote frame buffer-
Its already built-in to the mac os

then they could preview whatever you wanted- on any screen anywhere- and real resolution-

Very true, but when have lighting console manufacturers done what people wanted :)

In all seriousness it does seem that CITP is becoming more prevalent and having it in Catalyst would be very useful.

Geoffrey
29-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Hey guys,

I know I have posted a few times about CITP and as I do tend to agree with Richard about having the lighting console manufactures just make a VNC viewer, its never going to happen. Everyone has gone into the CITP direction and it seems like Catalyst is now one of the last of the bunch that doe's not yet support it. I personally would love to see the support of it in a release soon as it will help profusely with working in visualizers and with consoles that use CITP. Thanks!

SourceChild
03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
CITP... WTF!? Honestly, it kills me how archaic this industry is. I spoke to someone yesterday that thought a universal serial control software system was cutting edge.

Seriously! There is so much bass ackward shit and protocols such as CITP are an example. As far as intellectual property cooke monsters like PRG trying to lay claims... I say screw that. Honestly, VNC blows it out of the water and VNC is free. RFB is integrated into so many completely free Open Source applications.

It's no surprise this industry is ignorant to Linux/UNIX and the way the Open Source GNU paradigm work. There is so much potential and yet so many lazy asses that don't look into it. On the other hand, this is also the industry where people covet and hide their secrets in hopes of a day rate for a service that could be eliminated if the vendors were more proactive and worked for the best interests of the industry. But since clients are jackasses and have skewed the value of services.... Oh well.

If you want to pre-Vis a show, try building the show on a single 27" cinema display using mixes. Then on show site, adjust the mixes and the programming remains, done.

People ask for CITP... I just ask for more layers and mixes in Catalyst.

Master the art of programming in a preview monitor clips rendered 1/4th size. Learn Mixes, Learn 3d Objects. Then, you can build your entire show in a preview hud without need for anything but the desk and the mac.

Even in the most complex 3d projection mapping show I've ever done (6 Catalysts, 12 Barco HD20s, 57 mixes, and 72 layers), all the programming was done easily and seamlessly using one 30" cinema display with 4 CATs stacked into a 5th in my nice air conditioned, comfortable home office.

As for lighting consoles being made the way user's want them... HAHA. You show me a lighting desk that is brand new, and I'll show you concepts that are about 20 years out of date, clunky, and mechanical.

Granted though, I've been privileged to work with some amazing software developers, many the kind who write complex web applications with dynamic seamless user interfaces.