PDA

View Full Version : sync to mtc while playing back sound

denis hessberger
02-03-2010, 02:17 PM
hey there,

I am programming a tradeshow booth where I need to sync lighting with video. Video will be one Catalyst (and only 1 Output, but will later on be splitted to feed different screens with different stuff).
This Video file contains audio, which plays back lovely when I tell it to do so. Now my problem is, that I would either like the Catalyst to listen to my lighting desk (which can send mtc) or my lighting desk to listen to my cat sending mtc.
However, with the Cat sending MTC I need to lock the source to a specific layer, as otherwise my video, when looping, will not cause the timecode to be reset (which it would need). Also, when starting up the catalyst I first need to mess around so that it sends timecode again (change some stuff in the CL options). Is there an easier way to do this?

When the Cat listens to the MTC of the desk everything is fine, exept that I have no audio...

A few more infos... I do not need to control the server by the desk. Altough it would still be a nice thing to have. At the moment I have 1 movie which has been done to the clients liking. So only one layer as well....

thank you in advance,

denis

SourceChild
02-03-2010, 06:49 PM
You can create a dummy layer in Catalyst with a very low resolution file that has your audio. In that file, place a clip with your timecode. From the Lighting Desk, have it sync to that layer's timecode. Also, the other layers can be synced to the timecode of that layer. The video files that are associated can then be synced back to the audio.

Remember that video chases audio in a media server. Also remember that a media server plays at monitor refresh rate multiples which are not always exactly the same as standard video playback.

You can also if you like, create a cue list on your lighting desk which changes the inframe values of the timecode clip so that you can jump to specific times in the timecode.