PDA

View Full Version : Xserve questions

karamasov
24-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I know this has been addressed before, but I´d like to hear what the community here thinks - if there have been any improvements in the Apple Xserve line that would make the machines usable as live video servers, with better graphics cards etc...?

Sometimes the MacPro rack is just too big for the gig!

SourceChild
25-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Don't use an xServe. Instead use a Mac Mini. If you search YouTube you can find videos that show you how to swap out the DVD drive.

Do that and put an SSD in its place using one of the OptiBays from MCE Technologies.

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/index.html

I have several of these Mac Minis that I have swapped the drives on. Each has a Catalyst DV licence. I have been able to run 2 layers of 1080p@60FPS on these as well as all 8 layers of SD 30FPS.

You can use the Mini DVI and the Mini Display port simultaneously for dual outputs at 1920x1080.

The only problem with these is that you cannot install a PCIe capture device such as a Phoenix or LFG however, you can use a firewire or USB capture device just fine.

The graphics cards in the Minis are not great but I have not had any issues. I strongly recommend these instead of xServes.

samsc
28-02-2010, 09:14 AM
I know this has been addressed before, but I´d like to hear what the community here thinks - if there have been any improvements in the Apple Xserve line that would make the machines usable as live video servers, with better graphics cards etc...?

Sometimes the MacPro rack is just too big for the gig!

zenith lighting in Orlando Florida - have put together xserve macs with latest ones-

they managed to fit different graphics cards-

apparently the gt120 fits - but that doesnt perform too great ( though its better than internal card ) - particularily as they wanted to do at least 4 hd layers -

i think they got a 8800 to fit instead - but they had to solder power connections.
They did get help from apple trying to figure this out-
The guy who did it was prepared to do the hacking himself and take the risks...

---

I also have a show in china at the moment using xserves - much better form factor for install
performance not critical on this show-

samsc
28-02-2010, 09:22 AM
The latest mac mini - the mac mini server has 2 hard drives - no DVD

and you can replace one with an SSD

We did extensive tests with non-server OS on one before xmas - its the best performing one so far

i wouldnt quite say you could get 2x1080 output -

but with SSD you can do a lot of layers

Don't use an xServe. Instead use a Mac Mini. If you search YouTube you can find videos that show you how to swap out the DVD drive.

Do that and put an SSD in its place using one of the OptiBays from MCE Technologies.

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/index.html

I have several of these Mac Minis that I have swapped the drives on. Each has a Catalyst DV licence. I have been able to run 2 layers of 1080p@60FPS on these as well as all 8 layers of SD 30FPS.

You can use the Mini DVI and the Mini Display port simultaneously for dual outputs at 1920x1080.

The only problem with these is that you cannot install a PCIe capture device such as a Phoenix or LFG however, you can use a firewire or USB capture device just fine.

The graphics cards in the Minis are not great but I have not had any issues. I strongly recommend these instead of xServes.

karamasov
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the information!
I´ll email Zenith and ask about the mod. An 8800 sounds like exactly what I´d need, as I run a lot of GPU-rendered FX whenever I run other software.
A MacMini Server with SSDs would be a good solution for the more GPU-friendly work.