PDA

View Full Version : Two DH2GOs

downie
09-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Question - is it possible to run two analogue Dual Head 2 Gos with a NVIDIA GeFore GT120 card?

I am trying to drive three projectors and have one monitor for control.

If the answer is no I can stop trying and explore another option - maybe a triple head?

Any help much appreciated.

Andy

Mr_P
10-02-2010, 11:05 AM
I know that a TH2G works on the GT120 - not tested 2 x dual heads...

When I tried it with a TH2G on the minidisplay port - max res I got was 2400x600 on both outputs.

However, you should think about how you are running your control screen - if its on the same head as a projector - both projector and control screen would switch back to desktop and full screen. If you use a TH2G, then you can isolate control from the projector outputs - this means that if you switch back to desktop on your control screen, your projectors can remain in 'full screen' on the the output.

Whatever you do - test it....

Simon

downie
10-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi Simon

Thanks for your response. Hadn't considered the fact that switching from desktop to full screen would of course wipe out one of the images. The main plan is to control catalyst via a grand ma, so that lx and video is controlled from the one source. Was struggling to get my head round it yesterday but have had more success today so hopefully problem solved.

Thanks again.

Mr_P
10-02-2010, 04:04 PM
do give me a call if you need some more assistance

(edit: you may find ATI Radeon HD 4870 is better than GT120 - see Richard's post below)

simon

samsc
12-02-2010, 09:34 AM
i really dont recommend the gt120 card

it has poorer performance than it should have - the times i have tried to use it-

i have 6 of them - and they work worse than the low end ati cards on previous generation macs-

really doesnt like running big screens like triple heads or high def movies-

I do not know why- not a good choice

Question - is it possible to run two analogue Dual Head 2 Gos with a NVIDIA GeFore GT120 card?

If the answer is no I can stop trying and explore another option - maybe a triple head?

Andy

samsc
12-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Dual/Triple head to Go boxes have worked fully with catalyst since their first introduction in around 2006 - on machines then - you could use 2 at the same time at certain resolutions on certain graphics cards-

what you can or cannot use together - or what is supported by the graphics card - whether it works is not dependant on catalyst -

it changes with every single iteration of graphics card mac update or operating system-
in the last year the move to display port adaptors caused a number of reported problems with older analog and digital triple heads-
i dont know the status of this -
i havent used the display port triple heads myself-

there is a performance cost to running such large displays on triple heads - but usually its not too great-
but it is a moving target-
and whether one or 2 can be used at the same time is beyond my control

---

As of now matrox now has 6 different versions available-

so the possible combinations of these things working or not working is huge- in one or more combination-

Matrox has also recently updated their software-

Connect two Matrox DualHead2Go or TripleHead2Go units directly into your system to achieve a four- or six-monitor workspace

ISE 2010, Montreal, Canada, January 27, 2010—Matrox Graphics Inc., the leading manufacturer of specialized graphics solutions, today announced multiple DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go Graphics eXpansion Module (GXM) support to drive up to four or six monitors, respectively, from a single system. A second GXM can now be connected to the secondary output of a supported dual monitor graphics card so two DualHead2Go GXMs can power up to four outputs in 2x2 or 4x1 modes, while two TripleHead2Go units can be combined to connect six displays to produce either a 3x2 or 6x1 set up.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/press/guides/th2go/
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/media/pdf/products/en_product_lineup_intl.pdf

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/connect_multiple_gxms/

Even i am confused by this- there is no mention of mac/pc requirements of compatility- on these pages - and whether information is PC only.

but there is a mention of compatibility on this page:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/compatibility/gxm/resolutions/#mac_desktop

Andy

samsc
12-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I have definitely seen problems with the GT120 not working well enough at high resolutions - at big graphics display sizes - -

At the moment i am suggesting that the nVidia GTX 285 - though not a BTO option - with 2 DVI ports is a better bet-

The 4870 , the GT120 both have display port connections-

the GTX 285 has 2x dvi-

This is a moving target.

(edit: you may find ATI Radeon HD 4870 is better than GT120 - see Richard's post below)

simon