PDA

View Full Version : Remote Broadcast Serial Output

sam-hunt
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Hello all

I seem to have encountered an issue using Catalyst remotely and trying to output serial commands. I have a Cat server sitting in the lighting booth, which is what will run the show, with a Keyspan USB-serial and serial control of the two projectors.

I am using a Macbook in the auditorium during tech for programming, I am programming in presets that will be triggered by Artnet. The serial commands are also triggered by Artnet. The Cat server is remote previewing my Macbook for the duration of the tech, then I will copy all the presets from my Macbook to the Cat server, and it will run the show from Artnet triggers.

The issue I've found is that the serial control works fine, until the Cat server starts remote previewing. When it is mirroring my Macbook, it doesn't send out serial commands. I have tried mirroring the entire setup - including the Artnet serial triggers - on my Macbook, but no joy yet.

Anyone encountered this before? I'm working with m257.

Sam

Marty Postma
03-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Do you have ArtNet plus the Macbook on the same ethernet port?

Sounds like the ArtNet data might be getting "stepped on".

If you can try and keep them on separate ports.

Hope this helps. :)

sam-hunt
04-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I do indeed, but I need to in order for the Macbook and the server to be triggered from the console. Also, the other port on the server is being used for the data network, so I don't want to run control over that.

The server is seeing the incoming Artnet commands, but it's not actually doing anything with them.

Mr_P
05-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Have you configured your 'Artnet' port to be the priority - rather than the 'data network'

Go to: system preferences / network settings / config
and ensre that the port you are useing for artnet is at the top of the list as 'preferred' network adaptor.

Try just using one network - rather than both - for what you are doing there will be no speed difference!...

It is possible that serial triggers are being disabled during remote preview mode - dont know if this is a design feature or a bug....

Simon

samsc
05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
how many universes of artnet?
how long are your artnet trigger cues?
How many layers?
how many computers you have on network?
which macbook?

its possible you are overloading the network capabilities of your computer or network devices-

artnet and catalyst broadcast information use udp mode- which do not guarantee delivery of network data- they will just throw it away if a buffer overflows - as will a network switch if it overflows-

Hello all

I seem to have encountered an issue using Catalyst remotely and trying to output serial commands. I have a Cat server sitting in the lighting booth, which is what will run the show, with a Keyspan USB-serial and serial control of the two projectors.

I am using a Macbook in the auditorium during tech for programming, I am programming in presets that will be triggered by Artnet. The serial commands are also triggered by Artnet. The Cat server is remote previewing my Macbook for the duration of the tech, then I will copy all the presets from my Macbook to the Cat server, and it will run the show from Artnet triggers.

The issue I've found is that the serial control works fine, until the Cat server starts remote previewing. When it is mirroring my Macbook, it doesn't send out serial commands. I have tried mirroring the entire setup - including the Artnet serial triggers - on my Macbook, but no joy yet.

Anyone encountered this before? I'm working with m257.

Sam

samsc
05-02-2010, 08:36 AM
you have file sharing and other things like it turned on?

artnet uses the lowest priority network packets called udp packets - which are considered to be dispensable - delivery is not guaranteed - ever

I do indeed, but I need to in order for the Macbook and the server to be triggered from the console. Also, the other port on the server is being used for the data network, so I don't want to run control over that.

The server is seeing the incoming Artnet commands, but it's not actually doing anything with them.

samsc
05-02-2010, 08:47 AM
this priority is for finding networks in multihoming network setups -
not for data prioritisation.

it is very possible that the networking package processing is being overloaded on the macbook when a lot is going on-

each machine using catalyst broadcast generates 800 packets per second when using 32 layers at 25fps-

artnet is only 25-44 packets per second per universe

both artnet and catalyst broadcast data packets are considered to be low priority - and not guaranteed delivery-

Have you configured your 'Artnet' port to be the priority - rather than the 'data network'

Go to: system preferences / network settings / config
and ensre that the port you are useing for artnet is at the top of the list as 'preferred' network adaptor.

Try just using one network - rather than both - for what you are doing there will be no speed difference!...

It is possible that serial triggers are being disabled during remote preview mode - dont know if this is a design feature or a bug....

Simon