PDA

View Full Version : artnet additions

dmxdesign
05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi as a thought would it be possible to implement the ArtAddress function into catalyst to allow you to adjust the subnet & universe address of an ethernet node remotely
many thanks
Chris

Mr_P
06-01-2010, 12:00 AM
for what purpose?
to control external devices? or settings within catalyst?

most artnet interfaces have either a web-server based configuration controls.
A mac version of Artistic Licence DMX Workshop would be usefull...

please explain further...

Simon

dmxdesign
06-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi Simon
in the Artnet spec there is a command called ArtAddress which is designed to allow you to change the subnet & universe of a node remotely it also allows you to identify the node by flashing the front panel leds.
This would be of use for artnet nodes which dont have webservers built in

dmxdesign
06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
sorry didnt finish typing and quick reply answered
it would save you getting the screwdriver out to change settings my idea is that you could work from within catalyst as you have all node info to hand in dmx artnet tab and just do minor tweaks easily
Chris

Mr_P
06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes - It would be a good idea.
Artistic Licence DMX Workshop can do most of this already - except that it only runs on windows... Not sure if AL have any plans for a Mac version - I'l ask them...

is this to control AL older products - or other manufacturers?

S

dmxdesign
06-01-2010, 07:43 PM
this is a general purpose idea really
I have designed artnet nodes for led panels and having the ability to readdress the panel would be a lot easier as you dont have to get to it
i used the Dmx workshop extensively for testing nodes and it is a very useful device a mac version would be nice.
I've used Pandoras box before to drive led stuff but a previous project i did ran on catalyst and i was very impressed so now i am a catalyst convert

Chris

SourceChild
07-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Chris,

Email me about the DMX Artnet Nodes you've designed. Perhaps I can write a Mac based application for you.

SourceChild (.A.T.) ME (.D.O.T.) com

samsc
21-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi as a thought would it be possible to implement the ArtAddress function into catalyst to allow you to adjust the subnet & universe address of an ethernet node remotely
many thanks
Chris

http://www.artisticlicence.com/WebSiteMaster/User%20Guides/art-net.pdf
Document Revision 1.4ak 9/11/09 - 13 - page 13

artnet has a limited protocol for setting up the addresses of devices - but really its just for their nodes-

you cant set the dmx address within the universe with this command - so its not much use to anyone to anything useful - really -

and actually if this overrides their dipswitches- it would be incredibly confusing.......