PDA

View Full Version : AppleScript control of cuelist

HTS
20-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi all,

I'm programming a show next week (single mac pro, THTG, 2 outputs, preset control) and the designer has asked whether it's possible to do the following:

cue 6 is a 10 second movie looping on layer 3

cue 7 is a new movie on layer 4, which when triggered will only run when the movie in cue 6 has completed (reached frame 250)

I.e. Delaying the running of a cue until a specifit point in the previous movie (if that makes any sense)

I can't figure a way of doing it in the preset itself but is there a way of scripting this sort of thing or does catalyst not allow such detailed control/monitoring of specific aspects of the layer?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Huw

Mr_P
20-11-2009, 01:36 PM
very simple if you use a cuelist

set cuelist to internal or relative or timecode (as appropriate)

Program a preset for 'Cue 6' (looping movie layer 3)

Program a preset for 'cue 7' (new movie layer 4)

Put 'cue 7' preset in cuelist to trigger 250frames after cue 6

There is no 'triggering' feedback from layers - you must use a cuelist to automate as required

Any queries - do get back to me

Simon

HTS
20-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi Simon,

thanks for replying so quickly. Sorry, I didn't explain correctly:

cue 6 will loop for an undetermined amount of time, say 5 minutes of looping a 10 second movie. then cue 7 will be triggered 5 minutes and 5 seconds into the loop sequence but I don't want cue 7 to actually start playing until the 10 second loop in cue 6 has completed I.e. At 5m10s ( but this time won't be definite, just an example in this instance)

Huw

Mr_P
20-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Its not possible natively...

you can only do it as described by working with definitive values. There is no mechanism for a layer to signal when it is complete, to then trigger another event.

However, you could do it with a cuelist...

Check back in a bit...

Simon

Mr_P
20-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Solved...

Create preset(6) for 'cue6' 10s PlayLoopFW>0. (folder 001 file 001)
**HOWEVER make your content with 2 extra frames ie 252 frames.**
Set outframe to 250frames (10s)

Create a preset(8) for 'cue7' as normal (folder 001 file 002)

Create a preset(7) to change L3 outframe to 0 and playmode to PlayOnceFW>0 (just these 2 parameters)
(this is the trigger)

Create a cuelist using Layer3 as timecode source
Create Cue1 as 'PLAY' with command PresetToCuelist=6 - this enables the cuelist
Create Cue 2 as 'Preset 7' - this plays preset 8 (cue 7)
-set the time for this cue to 10s (250f) or 1 frame after the loop point
optional:
create Cue 3 fade 'layer 3' - (if required)

works like a dream!!...

The key to this is to add 2 frames on to the looping movie BUT to set the outframe to the actual desired loop time (250f)
So it the loop never reaches the end of the movie and the resulting timecode to trigger the next cue
Once 'cue 7 trigger' is triggered L3 plays to the end of the movie (+2f) and triggers the next cue 7

If you need a good x-fade - then extend the clips further and adjust the trigger timecode to compensate.

This all assumes 25fps - adjust for 30fps as necessary

See ZIP file with catalyst show (programmed on m257)

Content used:
Lib 001
File 001 - Loop 252 frames (loops at 250)
File 002 - another movie

Show & Content can be downloaded from:
http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/32/wo/xiQlEntHxEGwVMWa.1/5.2.1.2.26.31.97.1.35.0.1.1.1?user=simonpugsley&fpath=Catalyst%20Support%20Files:Loop%20Trigger%20 Example&templatefn=FileSharing6.html

Do call if you need some more assistance

Simon

HTS
21-11-2009, 09:50 AM
It does indeed work like a dream!

Thanks simon, that's great.

Much appreciated,

Huw

SourceChild
02-12-2009, 05:29 AM
Solved...

NICE!! :D