PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini output freezes

Samuel Betts
12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I've just upgraded to V4 and installed it on a Mac Mini (intel core 2 - 2Ghz - 2 GB RAM - 320 GB HD). During programing and playback, the video output freezes. No control from console. If a movie is playing and you lower the memory fader of this movie, it continues to play. No fade out. If you try to access a layer - nothing happens. But I can toggle from full screen to control screen. I'm using a CIB as interface. The console is an Avolites Pearl 2008. Anyone has an idea on what might be causing this malfunction?

Thanks,

Samuel

NevBull
12-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi there

What codec are you using for the video?

If you look in the DMX Artnet window on the HUD, can you see the DMX values changing?

samsc
13-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I've just upgraded to V4 and installed it on a Mac Mini (intel core 2 - 2Ghz - 2 GB RAM - 320 GB HD). During programing and playback, the video output freezes. No control from console. If a movie is playing and you lower the memory fader of this movie, it continues to play. No fade out. If you try to access a layer - nothing happens. But I can toggle from full screen to control screen. I'm using a CIB as interface. The console is an Avolites Pearl 2008. Anyone has an idea on what might be causing this malfunction?

Thanks,

Samuel

does sound like a dmx thing-
what happens when you program a very simple cue to just fade in and out a white square?
does this happen?

SourceChild
15-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Mac Minis get hot. Don't ask me why but of 8 minis I have taken 3 back to Apple for locking up. Apple won't explain why but simply swaps the mini for me. I have gathered it's a heat problem from the Apple support articles and the console results.

Samuel Betts
15-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I've worked things out. It seems like the USB output on the MAC mini didn't have enough power for the CIB. Plugged a powered USB hub on the MAC mini an the CIB on the hub and things worked fine. Then I used an Artnet box and that worked to.
Thanks, Samuel

samsc
16-11-2009, 12:16 AM
I've worked things out. It seems like the USB output on the MAC mini didn't have enough power for the CIB. Plugged a powered USB hub on the MAC mini an the CIB on the hub and things worked fine. Then I used an Artnet box and that worked to.
Thanks, Samuel

thats also a possibility- its possible that CIB uses just more power than it should-

not a mac mini thing-

samsc
16-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Mac Minis get hot. Don't ask me why but of 8 minis I have taken 3 back to Apple for locking up. Apple won't explain why but simply swaps the mini for me. I have gathered it's a heat problem from the Apple support articles and the console results.

this particular problem is not a lock up of software- or heat -