PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst freezes on Mac Mini

Samuel Betts
12-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I've just upgraded to V4 and installed it on a Mac Mini (intel core 2 - 2Ghz - 2 GB RAM - 320 GB HD). During programing and playback, the video output freezes. No control from console. If a movie is playing and you lower the memory fader of this movie, it continues to play. No fade out. If you try to access a layer - nothing happens. But I can toggle from full screen to control screen. I'm using a CIB as interface. The console is an Avolites Pearl 2008. Anyone has an idea on what might be causing this malfunction?

Thanks,

Samuel

samsc
13-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I've just upgraded to V4 and installed it on a Mac Mini (intel core 2 - 2Ghz - 2 GB RAM - 320 GB HD). During programing and playback, the video output freezes. No control from console. If a movie is playing and you lower the memory fader of this movie, it continues to play. No fade out. If you try to access a layer - nothing happens. But I can toggle from full screen to control screen. I'm using a CIB as interface. The console is an Avolites Pearl 2008. Anyone has an idea on what might be causing this malfunction?

Thanks,

Samuel

what happens when you program a very simple cue to fade in and fade out a white square?

samsc
14-11-2009, 09:18 AM
what happens when you program a very simple cue to fade in and fade out a white square?

did you try this?

Gian
14-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Richard,... i just spoke with Samuel, he is a brazilian guy here.
What he did found, is with a HES CIB (old guys) USB connected directly on the MacMini, from time to time, MacMini freezes.
He also figure out, with a ArtNet device interface, that problem did not happened again.
Any clues if that happens before. I particulary still have 2 Cats with CIBs and no problem so far. Sometimes on the opening of the software does not read the CIB, but a computer restart solves and goes fine from there.
So any clues on CIBs and Macminis or so ???

samsc
14-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Richard,... i just spoke with Samuel, he is a brazilian guy here.
What he did found, is with a HES CIB (old guys) USB connected directly on the MacMini, from time to time, MacMini freezes.
He also figure out, with a ArtNet device interface, that problem did not happened again.
Any clues if that happens before. I particulary still have 2 Cats with CIBs and no problem so far. Sometimes on the opening of the software does not read the CIB, but a computer restart solves and goes fine from there.
So any clues on CIBs and Macminis or so ???

not a mac mini problem- and its doesnt sound like a computer 'freeze' but dmx not working.

so suggest you try something really really simple like fading a white square in and out - and watch what happens on dmx input in catalyst- watch for a long time- 10 minutes - or as long as your problem reoccurs.

the CIB doesnt need a computer restart - just unplug and replug- there arent any drivers for it- see what happens-
CIB's are more likely to have connector problems than driver problems- as there arent any drivers

Samuel Betts
15-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Richard,

Tried repluging the CIB after freeze and it automatically closed catalyst. Restarted Catalyst and it worked for a while before freezing again. Anyway changing over to Artnet box solved the problem.

Samuel

samsc
16-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Richard,

Tried repluging the CIB after freeze and it automatically closed catalyst. Restarted Catalyst and it worked for a while before freezing again. Anyway changing over to Artnet box solved the problem.

Samuel

sounds like a CIB hardware problem-

they do fail-

ryanww
16-11-2009, 03:37 AM
I have one I am trying to find a new home for if you need a replacement unit.

Ryan

samsc
16-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I have one I am trying to find a new home for if you need a replacement unit.

Ryan

samuel seems to have traced a problem to usb device powering-
using a usb hub it seems to have worked-