PDA

View Full Version : firewire problem

earns
13-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Can somebody help me...

Before, i used IMAC for my catalyst V4 DV and DVCAM player as my video source thru firewire connection. I have no problem encountered on my shows.
Now i purchased a Mac pro 8core 2.26Ghz and installed the new cat software.
when ever i select the DV player as my video input, the program crash. In the future i'm planning to purchase a blackmagic card
Please tell me why and how to repair it.

Thank you..
EARNS

samsc
14-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Can somebody help me...

Before, i used IMAC for my catalyst V4 DV and DVCAM player as my video source thru firewire connection. I have no problem encountered on my shows.
Now i purchased a Mac pro 8core 2.26Ghz and installed the new cat software.
when ever i select the DV player as my video input, the program crash. In the future i'm planning to purchase a blackmagic card
Please tell me why and how to repair it.

Thank you..
EARNS

no idea-

did you plug in the player device before starting the computer?

try this?

kiwi
16-10-2009, 12:36 PM
is there a reason you are using DVCAm to playback and not playing back from a SSD or SCSI drive as a file?

did you upgrade the version/build of catalyst you were using on the Imac when you went over to the mac pro? if you were previously using a very old build of v4 (like beginning of last year) and you've gone over to the latest release then there are some differences in the video input set up.

otherwise it's possible that just a restart with the device plugged in from boot will sort it.

if you have any trouble please feel free to pm me

regards
Paul

samsc
16-10-2009, 12:47 PM
firewire video input- if it crashes its not me - it means apple changed something -
its not my software that crash- i just do what im told.

he probably also needs to plugin and make sure the device is turned on and activated at system startup - there was some strange behaviour with firewire cameras for a while a few years ago-

did you upgrade the version/build of catalyst you were using on the Imac when you went over to the mac pro? if you were previously using a very old build of v4 (like beginning of last year) and you've gone over to the latest release then there are some differences in the video input set up.

otherwise it's possible that just a restart with the device plugged in from boot will sort it.

regards
Paul

earns
22-10-2009, 05:21 PM
HI Sam,Paul,

Sorry for my delay reply.

Actually i used the DV player (DVCam is for firewire connection test only) as my video input source for my iMac using cat4pm build 165 and 256. I don't have problem with this set up. But when i bought Mac pro with leopard OS, cat 4 software crashes everytime i connect the DV player thru firewire. We tried to copy my preference file of cat4pm on iMac then paste it to Mac pro file. Then reset, I don't know but IT WORKs! no more problem on firewire connection. You're right maybe i miss some of the plugged ins and other quick time components.

Right now i'm getting a intensity pro as my video input source..Can i use two decklink card on one mac pro?

Thank you..
earns

kiwi
23-10-2009, 10:11 AM
HI Sam,Paul,

Right now i'm getting a intensity pro as my video input source..Can i use two decklink card on one mac pro?

Thank you..
earns

I havent used the intensity cards for awhile, as I recall the intensity drivers didnt allow for for more than one card, but perhaps someone else has tried this more recently and can give a difinative answer.

What are you trying to do? at what resolution?
I do a lot of live input stuff in addition to playback so perhaps there is a better option for you?

Paul

samsc
24-10-2009, 09:29 AM
HI Sam,Paul,

Sorry for my delay reply.

Actually i used the DV player (DVCam is for firewire connection test only) as my video input source for my iMac using cat4pm build 165 and 256. I don't have problem with this set up. But when i bought Mac pro with leopard OS, cat 4 software crashes everytime i connect the DV player thru firewire. We tried to copy my preference file of cat4pm on iMac then paste it to Mac pro file. Then reset, I don't know but IT WORKs! no more problem on firewire connection. You're right maybe i miss some of the plugged ins and other quick time components.

Thank you..
earns

dv crashing - doesnt sound like anything to do with preferences thing in catalyst -
unless you were plugging deck in and out with catalyst running - at which point the OS had a problem with this - not catalyst itself-

---

whether you can use 2 intensity cards - depends on decklink drivers and their quicktime support-
they didnt use to support more than 1 card. i dont know right now

earns
25-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi paul,

I just want to have atleast two input video camera for the live close circuit shoot. Do you have better stuff than intensity pro? Tell me please...

Thanks,
earns

NevBull
25-10-2009, 04:41 PM
hello Earns

if you want at least two inputs, get an LFG4 card from Active Silicon if youhve the budget - they accept four composite feeds at PAL resolutions

Nev.

kiwi
26-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi paul,

I just want to have atleast two input video camera for the live close circuit shoot. Do you have better stuff than intensity pro? Tell me please...

Thanks,
earns

Hi Earns,
it entirely depends on what resolution and hence what quality you require.
As Nev said the active silicon LFG 4 will give you 4 composite inputs.
If you need a better quality then the active silicon Phoenix cards will give you two SD-SDI intputs or one HDSDI input.
Whith both types of active silicon cards the drivers support multiple cards.
You can also have a mixture of Phoenix, LFG4 and decklink cards in your mac.

If your cameras don't output SDI but do output component then there are a nummber of converters on the market. I've used the tv one YPbPr/DVI to SDI boxes with Sony Z1 into Phoenix cards and it's worked well.

Hope that helps
Paul

Mr_P
26-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi paul,

Thanks,
earns

Intensity PRO inuts are: HDMI or component

if you want 'composite' at PAL ot NTSC resolution, you would be better selecting an Actve silicon LFG card
if you want SDI or HD-SDI - Actve silicon Phoenix PE4 card

Do contact me if you want to try out any of these cards to ensure that they will do what you need to do.

Simon

earns
27-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi paul, nev.

Thank you for the info. i'll check the LFG4 from Active Silicon.

Earns