PDA

View Full Version : Possibly quite stupid question about clip lengths

iwgalloway
24-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi

Do the latest versions of Catalyst still have the maximum workable clip length of 45mins? I remember this being an issue a few years back, I don't know if it's ever changed.

I may well want to play back a 180min movie and have it sync to SMPTE, wherever we jump in the music track the video stays in sync...

Thanks

Ian

Mr_P
25-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Ian

no max length in terms of movie playback

HOWEVER:
In and out frame are only possible for 65535 frames(16bit - about 42mins at 25fps) - but this does not limit playback to 42 mins - movies will run longer, but you cant specify the in/out point beyond 655535 frames... fine for most scenarios

This also provides an issue for sync to smpte for the same 65535 reasons. Richard did introduce a feature of adding both inframe and outframe values to allow smpte sync over 65535 frames. However, Catalyst ignores the "hours" for smpte timecode - so it can still cause issues if your clip is over an hour long, or starts near an hour change...

There is the ability to introduce an offset - but this can get VERY complicated...

In short - sync to smpte for movies less than 42 mins (@25fps) works fine... you will need to experiment for syncing longer movies.

Simon

samsc
26-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi

Do the latest versions of Catalyst still have the maximum workable clip length of 45mins? I remember this being an issue a few years back, I don't know if it's ever changed.

I may well want to play back a 180min movie and have it sync to SMPTE, wherever we jump in the music track the video stays in sync...

Thanks

Ian

you can make a cue list triggered by timecode which loads different movies at timecode points -

the 45 minutes thing related to dmx 16bit value is really tricky to change.

the movies can be programmed to set frame 0 to any point with smpte options in cue list.

i might have to work on some autolocation stuff to make the cue list relocation work anywhere -

SourceChild
27-09-2009, 08:46 PM
This sort of opens a whole new can of worms but there is the need from time to time to run timecode with frame accuracy on shows that are several hours long. I make this point more for having the need to externally sync timecode.

samsc
27-09-2009, 08:54 PM
This sort of opens a whole new can of worms but there is the need from time to time to run timecode with frame accuracy on shows that are several hours long. I make this point more for having the need to externally sync timecode.

as most shows are extremely unlikely to use a single movie .... hours long ....

using a cue list would almost always be fine. and would be usual approach -

or whatever they do on a lighting console to trigger different movies to sync to mtc