PDA

View Full Version : Epiphan DVI frame grabber

Spam Butterfly
30-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Has anyone tried an Epiphan DVI frame grabber with Catalyst?

Hugh

Gian
30-08-2009, 03:42 AM
YES, works perfectly.
We do have the DVI2USB version, but regarding the name, you can capture DVI or VGA.

Gian

samsc
30-08-2009, 12:25 PM
YES, works perfectly.
We do have the DVI2USB version, but regarding the name, you can capture DVI or VGA.

Gian

i wouldnt use the word perfect....

but they do capture dvi ...

there is one on this install at the south bank...

http://musicispower.youthmusic.org.uk/youth_music_box/

Kicking off at the Southbank Centre on 17th July, Youth Music Box is an electrifying interactive musical experience developed by music and graphics experts Silent Studios with interactive artist Chris O?Shea.

Create your own unique track and video using cutting edge technology, all in under 10 minutes! Youth Music Box is a chance for anyone of any age to take part in making music ? whether you?re an accomplished musician or complete beginner.

Youth Music Box will be an unmissable free event at the Royal Festival Hall this summer, which will then tour the country to celebrate Youth Music?s 10th birthday.

Gian
30-08-2009, 03:34 PM
When I go perfect, is basickly much better (in quality) than any capture thru a DV boxes, like Twinpact, or any conversions to Video.
So far in quality of the image, is the best option we have I belive.
I do constantly research that, because we always need to capture PPT presentations. And any conversion to Video make the comp signal look very ugly.
If any of you find a frame graber for DVI or even VGA, with great quality, I do apprecciate.
I did tryied all, even converting from DVI to HD SDI, at 1080p, looks so so.
But I agree with Richard, the drivers, and the fps is miles away to be good.
Regards
Gian

NevBull
30-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi Hugh

I have used one a couple of times - they are ok................ not perfect quality by any means - but the best I know of

Nev.

frankv1234
31-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Gian,

I'm also always have to capture powerpoint. I'm now using the Decklink intensity pro and use the hdmi input. Im not happy with the quality.

How is the quality of the Epiphan and wich fps rate can you get @ 1024 * 786 aprox ??

Hope to hear from you soon.

BTW anyone tried their vga2ethernet solution ?? does it work with catalyst ?? it would be much easier if we have a keynote speaker with a laptop on stage to just cable it with cat5 instead of using vga cables

samsc
31-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Gian,

I'm also always have to capture powerpoint. I'm now using the Decklink intensity pro and use the hdmi input. Im not happy with the quality.
]

what do you mean you arent happy with hdmi on intensity?

in what way?

ping141
31-08-2009, 07:28 PM
HDMI input on a Decklink Extreme HD looks good. I have tested from a DVI output using a DVI -> HDMI cable. It even works with a 1024 x 768 signal, even though I don´t think it is supposed to.

frankv1234
31-08-2009, 08:57 PM
on the decklink intensity pro only 1920x1080 and 1280x720 is supported . This is most of the times not the native resolution of the powerpoint and for the projection. upconversion to 1920x1080 for input and then down conversion to for example 1400x1050 for the projector makes the image a bit pixelated if you comapare this setup with a directly connected pwoerpoint to the projector the image of the direct setup has much more definition

samsc
31-08-2009, 11:14 PM
on the decklink intensity pro only 1920x1080 and 1280x720 is supported . This is most of the times not the native resolution of the powerpoint and for the projection. upconversion to 1920x1080 for input and then down conversion to for example 1400x1050 for the projector makes the image a bit pixelated if you comapare this setup with a directly connected pwoerpoint to the projector the image of the direct setup has much more definition

thats an up-conversion down-conversion problem - not a problem with the intensity or hdmi.

samsc
31-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Hi Gian,

How is the quality of the Epiphan and wich fps rate can you get @ 1024 * 786 aprox ??

Hope to hear from you soon.

BTW anyone tried their vga2ethernet solution ?? does it work with catalyst ?? it would be much easier if we have a keynote speaker with a laptop on stage to just cable it with cat5 instead of using vga cables

you need to determine yourself - whether its usable for your requirements.

i havent tried vga2ethernet - its tricky to make this stuff work.

Gian
01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Hello,...

The quality of the Epiphan is definitly much better than any HSMI or HDSDI capture, I really tried all. In all kind of resolutions.

And Epiphan gives the best quality so far. Still not the same of a direct conection, but gets closer, and you can read the texts.

YES the frame rate is the question. @ 1024 x 768, I can get arround 20 to 22 fps in Catalyst, sometimes less, if the PPT has to many movement, lieke a movie.
@ 800 x 600, you get the full 30 fps.
Still not perfect, but is the best I saw so far.
That is the 999,00 box DVI2USB ( and captures VGA also on the same unit )

BUT we still looking for a more perfect frame grabber.

SourceChild
01-09-2009, 11:37 PM
I have decklink cards, Phoenix (and LFG4) cards, and Epiphan DVI boxes in my servers. Honestly, I hate them all because I've been spoiled using Spyder or Encore to mix in IMAG or PPT.

When however, I am stuck using only Catalyst to capture a presentation, I still take the presentation file and convert it into a quicktime movie. It just looks better.

By using a little preset template I've built, I can even step forward, backward, and stop using play fwd, play rev, inframe, and outframe.

Granted if you have a user who wants slide control you become limited. There's also the fact that you aren't necessarily providing notes back to the presenter. However, if you setup a remote monitor from the presenter's presentation at your control then you can visual echo from the results you see on the preview monitor.

The bottom line is that feeding DVI, converting DVI to HDSDI, and up down up converting the input just diminishes the quality.