PDA

View Full Version : Problems seeing folsoms

johnboylightboy
30-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Everyday I boot up my system (8 core macs, 8800 video cards) I am not seeing my folsom image pros. i have to plug in a monitor detect the second display and then plug the folsom back in. any ideas?

Thanks

NevBull
30-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Hiya

have you set the EDID of the image pro to something that the mac can recognise?

Nev.

johnboylightboy
31-07-2009, 03:29 AM
I'm set on DVI 1024x768, the folsom does recognize it eventually I just have to plug a monitor into the computer see the second display then unplug it and quickly plug in the folsom.

I think it is the DVI A cable verse DVI D

OlliR
31-07-2009, 08:41 AM
You could try to force the ImagePro to send a certain EDID. Instead of just selecting an input resolution - you can programm a fixed resolution that will be trasmitted to the Mac as EDID. - You can even achieve resolutions (like 1920x1080) that would not be available otherwise.
In factory setup the ImagePro will pass through the EDID info of a connected monitor (on the DVI thru port)...

Mr_P
31-07-2009, 11:13 AM
There can be 2 issues here...

EDID of LCD connected to the 'thru' of the image pro is transmitted back to the mac. However, this can sometimes conflict with the programmed EDID of the Image Pro and you wont get an image on the 'thru' LCD

There is a known error with programming the EDID!!.. it requires a firmware update and an aditional manual command to be entered via telnet. (I have these details if required)

Are you sure its a DVI-A cable - not DVI-I... You should be able to use either DVI-I or DVI-D cable at this resolution to connect from the Mac to ImagePro.

(DVI-A cables are almost impossible to find and rarely used. If you really want analoge. Use a DVI-VGA adaptor or cable and connect the the imagepro analogue input.)

There a a couple of solutions:
1) Use a gefen DVI Detective on the Mac output to provide the EDID information - no matter what is connected after it. You should program this from the image pro - or whatever device gives you the correct resolution.

2) Use a Distribution amplifier between your mac and image pro. this will allow you to connect both LCD and image pro, and resolve issues of conflicting EDID on thru ouptut

3) Program the image Pro with the correct EDID information - this will ensure that you always get 1024x768 @ xHz

Let me know if you require instructions on how to update the imagepro if you are having issues programing the EDID.

For more info on DVI cables - check out the PDF attached.

Simon

RyWolf
04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Gefen makes a lil gizmo called the DVI detective N. Which you can use to store the EDID data and put it in line between the image pros and the mac. I used the devices when I was using a DVI switch between my Mac and the PJ ; the machine not up would forget that it is supposed to be outputting to a second monitor. This device will keep the mac tricked into thinking a monitor is always plugged in and store the EDID for the end result. The N version will work with analog the previous version would not.

Ryan Brown
Day One/ MP Productions
Little Rock, AR

Mr_P
05-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Gefen makes a lil gizmo called the DVI detective N. Which you can use to store the EDID data and put it in line between the image pros and the mac.

There a a couple of solutions:
1) Use a gefen DVI Detective on the Mac output to provide the EDID information - no matter what is connected after it. You should program this from the image pro - or whatever device gives you the correct resolution.

The biggest issue is programming the DVI detective with the ACTUAL resolution and refresh rate you want...

Setting the EDID on an imagePRO is a great way of specifying the exact resolution required

Simon

ajmaudio
05-09-2009, 07:59 AM
there are definitely alot of folsom imag/screen pros out there with junk firmware on them. Been running into them from rental houses etc and when its day of the little gefen dvi detective is a life saver... best 80 bucks ever spent

johnboylightboy
07-09-2009, 06:36 PM
the dvi detective is in line and works 80% of the time.

every now and then it has to be reprogrammed. what is the best way to set the edid? take it out of auto aquire and set input correct?

ajmaudio
09-09-2009, 06:03 AM
I just program it using a monitor that is set to the resolution I desire and lock it... no issues

SourceChild
10-09-2009, 02:08 AM
I keep firmware on my laptop for the IPs. It's very likely the OCD in me but I like identical hardware and firmware when possible.