PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst in exposition?

Peter
17-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi,

What do you all think of catalyst in an exposition situation : controlling, monitoring for malfunctioning, starting at x hour, ... video setups (sometimes with audio) from a centralized location?

Thanks,

Peter

NevBull
17-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Hello Peter

All very do-able - using cue lists for triggering timed events, monitoring maybe difficult, but multi channel audio is also very good.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss further.

regards

Nev.

Mr_P
17-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi Peter

Cuelists within catalyst are ideal for scheduled events. Coupled with apple scripts, it is possible to automate any number of control solutions from the Mac.

Monitoring is possible with remote desktop or Hardware monitor software. The network version of 'hardware monitor' can tell you information about the mac itself remotely.

However, Catalyst also has a web-server built in, which can display certain status information as well as provide level of control and remote control of the Catalyst server itself.

A centralised location makes it easy to provide simple backup solutions with multiple servers - Although, signal distribution should be considered.

Do let me know if you have any specific considerations and i may be able to advise further

Regards

Simon

SourceChild
19-07-2009, 03:12 AM
Catalyst can and has done all of what you are talking about. I've even done what you're talking about under several occasions. However, it may not be the best tool to use. In fact, there are a few other cue systems with built in monitoring which are better for certain situations. It all depends on your sophistication. Ultimately though if video content playback is central to your automation then Catalyst is a very viable choice.

If you like I can discuss with you some of the automation and failover solutions I've created.