PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Channel

Dan Valcich
29-06-2009, 06:46 PM
What is the best codec to use for motion graphics with an alpha channel for transparency?

Mr_P
29-06-2009, 11:37 PM
For native transparency: probably annimation codec - but it can be very processor intensive... ensure you have a well preped system, SSD, and good graphics card.

Do test first to gauge performance - lower resolutions can help

Simon

SourceChild
02-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Honestly, try using standard AIC files but render them with a solid color as a lower layer that comes through the alpha. Then you can use the transparent color FX and dial in the color. I have a hundred plus pieces of content I am using on a show now which I have done this way and they work fine.

Just FYI, I had a few pieces with some foliage which was green and blue so I made by background layer red and was able to make the background only transparent which looked great.

I wouldn't suggest the animation codec unless you are only running very few layers. If this isn't an issue then Simon is right.

samsc
02-07-2009, 01:00 PM
What is the best codec to use for motion graphics with an alpha channel for transparency?

animation codec is the only codec with an alpha channel.

samsc
30-09-2009, 12:35 PM
animation codec is the only codec with an alpha channel.

i was wrong - you can also export a png compressed movie-

using millions of colours + in the export settings.

dont know about performance - but png is lossless- and relatively new compared to the animation codec.

dont know about file size - not done any real tests.