PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive and Graphics Questions

Michael_
14-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Hello there,

what kind of hardware would you buy for catalyst at the moment?

I am thinking about a Mac Pro 2,93 8-Core with 6x 2 GB of RAM.

What would be the best graphics card to put in there? Maybe the ATI Radeon HD 4870? And what would be the best harddrive if I don't want to go for an SSD? And are there any SSDs you can reccomend?

so many questions..thanks for all your help..

cheers

michael

NevBull
14-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi Michael

Personally, I wouldn't go for another drive system other than SSD at the moment to be honest. The prices have tumbled and now 250gb SSD's are under the £500 mark. Performance of a single SSD outshines SCSI or standard SATA's or Raptors.

I will PM you with some more info.

regards

Nev.

samsc
06-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Hello there,

what kind of hardware would you buy for catalyst at the moment?

I am thinking about a Mac Pro 2,93 8-Core with 6x 2 GB of RAM.

What would be the best graphics card to put in there? Maybe the ATI Radeon HD 4870? And what would be the best harddrive if I don't want to go for an SSD? And are there any SSDs you can reccomend?

so many questions..thanks for all your help..

cheers

michael

you totally waste your money on your machine with all that memory and graphics card if you dont use SSD

as every other disc system limits the performance - below that of the machine by a large margin.

SourceChild
10-09-2009, 12:39 AM
The best basic config would be to go to apple's site and order the default 8-core with the 4870 graphics. Get a 250Gb OCZ SSD. If you capture use a Phoenix for SDI/HD-SDI or an LFG4 for Composite.

You could honestly get away with the 4-core machine if you wanted however the 8-core is easy enough. You don't need anything more on memory or anything else.