PDA

View Full Version : Move between presets in the edit preset window

kiwi
25-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Richard,
It would be really handy when updating multiple presets to be able to apply changes and jump to another preset without having to close the edit preset window.

i.e. edit preset 2 apply changes, press next, edit preset 3 apply changes, type in 40, edit preset apply changes, hold ctrl+1, edit preset 1 apply changes exit edit preset window.

It would also be really handy if you could edit presets live from a remote machine.

Thanks
Paul

Mr_P
26-04-2009, 02:11 PM
It would also be really handy if you could edit presets live from a remote machine.

only solution at the moment is via remote desktop, since the preset information is stored locally in the 'preset.txt' file on each catalyst server...

addition of extra buttons / shortcut keys, as described, to facilitate preset editing would be helpful

Simon

kiwi
27-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Richard,

Thanks
Paul

Sorry I should have expanded on this a bit.
I ment It would be nice to be able to be able to update presets of one machine from another using the catalyst interface whilst the machine is "live" (during a rehearsal for instance) This way a designer or programmer could be sitting in the auditorium updating current or upcoming presets on the fly without affecting the operator.

The only way to update presets remotely (as simon points out) are to edit the presets window in a text editor resave and (relaunch catalyst?).

Mr_P
27-04-2009, 07:48 PM
The only way to update presets remotely (as simon points out) are to edit the presets window in a text editor resave and (relaunch catalyst?).

Noooo....
Dont edit the preset.txt file!!!

what I meant was: You could connect to the catalyst server via remote desktop, using screen sharing (from a remote location) and therefore be able to edit the presets FROM WITHIN CATALYST in the usual manner

This method may not be suitable if you are using both outputs - and obviously not during a performance!...

a designer or programmer could be sitting in the auditorium updating current or upcoming presets on the fly without affecting the operator.

The method you mention has potential file sharing issues - and could lead to a lot of confusion for the operator...

That said - If you use a lighting console to program your show, rather than using catalyst presets - you would be able to edit the up-coming cues, on the lighting console, in 'blind' mode. There are a number of lighting consoles that can work in a network environment, and could achieve the same result. (MA, Hog3)

Simon

kiwi
28-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Noooo....
That said - If you use a lighting console to programyour show, rather than using catalyst preset - you would be able to edit the up-coming cues, on the lighting console, in 'blind' mode. There are a number of lighting consoles that can work in a network environment, and could achieve the same result. (MA, Hog3)

Simon

Thanks Simon,
I do already use Hog, but occasionally we will program catalyst presets if the show is going to be midi triggered from the sound dept. I often then remove hog from the chain as it's one less thing that can then die and one less thing to switch off at the end of the night.

Paul