PDA

View Full Version : Possible OCZ Issue

Ryan
20-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Has anybody had trouble with the ocz ssd2-1c64 drives. It replaced a faulty scsi drive.

I just installed one in a late 2005 G5 Quad 2.5 GHz with 6 gig of ram and 7800 GT video card.

It has so far had three kernel panics in the last two days. Ran fine in stress testing before sent out. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Nothing else has changed other than the drive.

Thanks,

Ryan

NevBull
20-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi Ryan

I have not had any reports of problems with the OCZ drives over here yet.

Have you had a chance to swap the drive out to check if it is the problem?

regards

Nev.

Mr_P
20-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I've been running OCZ 1 C32G / 64G / 128G and OCZ 2C 30G / 60G for the last 6 months with no apparent issues - but only ever in 2007 & 2008 MacPros...

Simon

Ryan
20-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I have not. Unfortunately I am in Florida and the catalyst is in Indiana. I won't have a chance to get to it until Tuesday and they have shows the next couple of days with it.

Thanks,

Ryan

samsc
21-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I have not. Unfortunately I am in Florida and the catalyst is in Indiana. I won't have a chance to get to it until Tuesday and they have shows the next couple of days with it.

Thanks,

Ryan

send me a pdf profile?

make sure the drive isnt set to goto sleep

RedLightning
22-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Speaking of OCZ, has anyone tried the Vertex series?

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_vertex_series_sata_ii_2_5-ssd

Obviously the way published specs work is not necessarily the way the drives will work with Catalyst, but with the core series of OCZ known to work with a published read time of up to 170 mb/s the Vertex series claims 250mb/s is there any added value ?

samsc
22-03-2009, 05:31 AM
Speaking of OCZ, has anyone tried the Vertex series?

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_vertex_series_sata_ii_2_5-ssd

Obviously the way published specs work is not necessarily the way the drives will work with Catalyst, but with the core series of OCZ known to work with a published read time of up to 170 mb/s the Vertex series claims 250mb/s is there any added value ?

in the last generation of mac pro with ssd - the bottleneck really shifted back to the cpu- to get more layers-
increasing speed of ssd didnt help much- increasing cpu did help.

but the bottleneck shifts all the time with cpu graphics card and disc changes- it might be different in latest one.

you dont know until you test on your system-
the way to determine the best performance is to use a ram disc- and compare that with your ssd- see how much difference it makes.

Ryan
15-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back. the system hard drive chose to die right after I put in the new ssd.

Ryan