PDA

View Full Version : External encoder input into Catalyst?

kmclights
17-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I've looked around on the forum and not found anything useful, so I'm just going to ask...

I've got a project coming up where it would be useful to feed encoder information from an automation system into Catalyst for tracking moving scenery. I've seen it done with E/T/C's OnlyView system and I've read that Hippotizer and Pandora's Box have some kind functionality in this area. But I've not read of any Catalyst project where live encoder information has been input to move X/Y coordinates or keystone points, or both. Does that functionality exist? If so, what kind of input signal is needed and how does the interface work? Would this work with DMX control of Catalyst or would you need to program standalone? Or possibly the interface could be between DMX and the automation and then feed the DMX into Catalyst?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

SourceChild
20-02-2009, 11:17 PM
You can create several DMX cues with different X and Y position values. You can then put those on a cuelist which does manual crossfading.

There is an image speed channel built into Catalyst. Make sure to use it as a buffer or you'll end up with jumpy looking transitions.

An idea if you do not have manual xfade for the position values, try building a ten step cuelist where step 1 is 10%, step 2 is 20%, etc. Estimate the total time to move the scenery and then divide that by 10. Put the fraction you come up with for each cue. If you have the ability to use dampened fade times, also do so as it will soften any jerks.

Then when the DMX crossfades, if the movement is slow you just run one cue at a time. As things speed up, you can skip ahead on cues and the movement will speed up.

This is the same trick I used to make automated lights track to a performer. Obviously it's tedious but you'll find it will accommodate your needs.

roberto_novelli
06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Kmc.
How spoked SOURCE You can use many different lighting desk like a desk video-mixer control.
you can do a lot of complex Cuelist controlled from programmers or midishow controller or SMPTE time code.

as far as I know the Catalyst was the first video-mediaserver
controlled by DMX,and was very appreciate from lighting desingers or
light programmers because they start to use VIDEO technology without
change any lighting thinking,very enriching lighting and scenographic scenarios.
there is a lot of think to use Catalyst from local or by remote:

1) stand halone recording PRESET + INTERNAL SHOW TIMELINE.
2) using DMX lightind desk with multiple encoders/trackball
3) usIng DMX lighting desk to prepare complex scenarios and capture into
local preset.
4) start local preset by:
-simple manual DMX desk
-using Dmx recorder with complex scenarios.
-using little toutch screen to send command (rs232,midi,etc etc)
to control local preset or Dmx recorder.
5) start preset by ethernet (completely remote) thorugh catalyst web page.

the limit is our think only.

IF YOU NEED HELP TO CONFIGURE YOUR PROJECT,DON'T ESITATE TO ASK
IN THIS FORUM,A LOT FRIENDS WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU.

ciao

Roberto Novelli CATALYST & SAMSC Product dealer for ITALY

Product Manager & Technical Support
roberto_novelli@ianiro.com
IANIRO ALDO srl.

helpdesk : ianiro@ianiro.com
http://www.ianiro.com
Sede principale/Head Office : Via Ragusa, 5
Logistica/Logistics : Via Ragusa, 3
00040 Pavona (Roma)- ITALY
+39 06 9310198 ra tel
+39 06 93162162 fax

emilianomorgia
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I've looked around on the forum and not found anything useful, so I'm just going to ask...

I've got a project coming up where it would be useful to feed encoder information from an automation system into Catalyst for tracking moving scenery. I've seen it done with E/T/C's OnlyView system and I've read that Hippotizer and Pandora's Box have some kind functionality in this area. But I've not read of any Catalyst project where live encoder information has been input to move X/Y coordinates or keystone points, or both. Does that functionality exist? If so, what kind of input signal is needed and how does the interface work? Would this work with DMX control of Catalyst or would you need to program standalone? Or possibly the interface could be between DMX and the automation and then feed the DMX into Catalyst?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

do you mean a RAW OPTICAL ENCODER ?

Do you already design the hardware needed to encode the movements of the peace of set?

PM me or emilianomorgia AT me.com