PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst Offline??

miguelangelpinheiro
08-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi, I would like make an suggestion.

Sometimes, we use an offline console like ma on pc, hog2pc, hog3 pc, etc... to program a show using the wysiwyg, espvision, etc...or to make the presets before we have the real console, but I think could be interesting the way to use a catalyst offline or the catalyst without the dongle only to connect with ethernet to a pc with the offlines consoles, (this offline consoles doesn´t have arnet), and, maybe this could be impossible to do , but, is not possible include it in the 3D visualizers to program the catalyst like we program lights?

We could make the catalyst position, scale,...presents and the content presets.
Everytime I use a different console, I spend a lot of time to make the content presets but if I have this made on my house will be great.

I don´t know if this is impossible to do it or very difficult but will be great.

Thanks a lot

This post must be in Catalyst Feature requests, sorry, I don´t know how to move to the correct place, sorry

ryanww
09-01-2009, 12:55 AM
You can use Catalyst without the dongle at home if you wanted. It will display blue bars top and bottom of the screen and the screen will turn red every so often. It may be annoying, but you can still use it fully for pre-programming. You will just need a source of DMX in from whatever console or artnet source.

Ryan

Mr_P
09-01-2009, 08:12 AM
there is no 'offline' connectivity between catalyst and an 'offline PC' version of lighting desk software such as HogPC or MA-PC, in the same way in which both mentioned work with WYSIWYG for example. Catalyst needs DMX to work in that way.

As mentioned above - you can use catalyst software for pre-programming without the dongle, but in your sceario, you will need a DMX device connected to your 'offline' lighting software to be able to get DMX in to catalyst

miguelangelpinheiro
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I know that, but I was talking about use it without a dmx or arnet interface, something more simple, just connecting 2 computers without external hardware

prodigal2
09-01-2009, 01:19 PM
If the PC based lighting desk software alows you to output Artnet via the ethernet port, then yes you can.

ryanww
10-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Yea, like mentioned above, you can use artnet. But if you have a widget, using sandnet I believe you can convert that data stream to artnet.. at the very least sandnet and then use something like LLA to convert it to artnet. You will however have to purchase a sandnet license. Don't know how much it is though.

www.sandsys.com
www.nomis52.net

Ryan

emilianomorgia
10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm starting doing some test of the JANDS VISTA .

In my opinion it's interesting software.

It work with out dongle and it use artnet protocol using PC/MAC native hardware.

IN your case you can download Jands Vista and Catalyst and make it work without any dongle. Since booth application are running in DEMO you will have the blu bars on catalyst and a 5 second blackout of the artnet output every x minute ( I don't remember ) on the vista software.

Mr_P
10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
I use sandnet and use it for HogPC to Wyg - and have one of their I/O boxes. This only works because HogPC and Wyg communicate normally on 1 computer. Sannet simply provides a conduit to enable communication over network so that you can run HogPC and Wyg on seperate computers (for example) I have a full license costing about £1200. I'm not sure if theres much more development being done on sandnet apart from custom fixes - check with Yves Sandboe

Not many manufacurers enable DMX or artnet on their PC only versions, without extra hardware, because its like giving the desk away for free!!..

However, unless Richard writes code to work with sandnet or the hog/grandMA-PC versions you will still need a HogPC widget or MA-node to enable DMX and transmit thru sandnet (or convert to artnet).

S

miguelangelpinheiro
11-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I´ll try with sandnet but I think sandnet no works with maonpc.
thanks

ryanww
12-01-2009, 02:50 AM
No it will not work with MA. If you want to use MA On PC, you will have to purchase a 2 port ONPC node, which will allow you to use artnet to connect to a Catalyst server.

Ryan

SourceChild
15-01-2009, 11:30 AM
High End has the new DP-8000 which can send Artnet. I am using one of these now at my home office to program Catalyst and lights on ESP visions. Before I would use a DP-2000 (or 3) and then a stack of DMX to Artnet boxes.

Sorry, but this is pretty much the only way to do it. You don't technically need a Catalyst dongle plugged in but you must have a DMX processor and artnet converter or a processor which does both.