PDA

View Full Version : Intel x25-m SSD

rentaphil
05-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Just ordered one for one of our Catalyst systems as well as for my personal computer. Haven't seen anyone talk about them on this site yet, but reviews look promising.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403

rentaphil
05-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Also, I remember seeing a thread that had a good 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter link but I can't seem to find it for the life of me. Any suggestions?

NevBull
05-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Hiya

I would be interested to see the results of your testing - all of these drives have different characteristics - I have been testing some SSD drives in the new Macbook PRO's - with interesting results!

regards

Nev.

Mr_P
05-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Re 2.5in - 3.5in Drive adaptors

There is one available in the US from MaxUpgrades.com Part No:SZ-VRMACPRO-01

It's seems to be the only one on the market, except for the drive adaptor plate that I've developed...

I have manufactured an adaptor plate that retrofits on to an existing MacPro drive sled. These have been thoroughly tested on a number of gigs now and a number of clients have been using them with OCZ 2.5in SSD's with no issues.

The OCZ SSD's also seem to perform well. I've been using the OCZSSD2-1C64G and OCZSSD2-1C128G with HD content. I've got 4 layers of HD with no issues (AIC - 3G 8Core)

Let me know if you need a Drive Adaptor plate (or drive)

Simon

SourceChild
15-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I contacted the guy who owns dvnation. He's about an hour from me. We are discussing where I might pop in the car to head to his shop with a Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, to test how some of the different drives work.

There are a few 512Gb drives I want to try and they are rated as the fastest in the world. Honestly never expected to but recently did a setup in a location where I needed more than 128GB of HD footage.

I'll report back what I find but what I'm discovering is that there are plenty of bottlenecks that prevent playback before the SSD does. It seems that some of the cheaper solutions are doing just fine for Catalyst playback.

garcon_de_lumiere
13-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi Guys,

I need to buy some new SSDs for my Catalysts and am very interested in these drives.

How have you got on with the x25?

And has anyone used the x25 E yet in a Catalyst system?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have

Thanks

NevBull
13-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I have sent you a PM

Nev.

samsc
13-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Just ordered one for one of our Catalyst systems as well as for my personal computer. Haven't seen anyone talk about them on this site yet, but reviews look promising.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403

they are more expensive and at the moment with ssd the bottleneck has shifted to the cpu for layer playback.
that is only faster cpu help more layers.

but this always changes

SourceChild
20-02-2009, 10:33 PM
No luck yet on testing drives. My demand for research went to zero and I got busy with other things. I might be looking again next week for a tour coming up. I'll get back to you all on my findings.

garcon_de_lumiere
21-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I have both X-25-M and also X-25-E drives en route at the moment. Should have them both early next week. Will post results as soon as I have them.

In the meantime there is an interesting article here...

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=669