PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen overlap

Bullen
18-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Is it possible to overlap the two outputs in Catalyst??
What I mean is that when you have two or more projectors to do one picture you need to overlap the images by about 12,5% each and that means that you really can't use the widescreen feature, or?

Bullen

samsc
18-03-2004, 10:52 AM
overlap the images by about 12,5% each
Bullen

About 12.5%?

Isnt this a very difficult art?
Doesnt it depend on the projector, the projector geometry, the gamma of the projector?
And then the projector black level needs to be compensated for - across the entire image.

I was thinking that this feature would be used with lcds or crts or plasma's more than projectors.

Bullen
18-03-2004, 11:01 AM
About 12.5%?

Isnt this a very difficult art?
Doesnt it depend on the projector, the projector geometry, the gamma of the projector?
And then the projector black level needs to be compensated for - across the entire image.

I was thinking that this feature would be used with lcds or crts or plasma's more than projectors.

I was more thinking of that if the outputs could overlap and the projector could take care off the pixeloverlap biz.

Bullen

samsc
18-03-2004, 11:38 AM
I was more thinking of that if the outputs could overlap and the projector could take care off the pixeloverlap biz.

Bullen

are there any projectors that actually do this?

Bullen
18-03-2004, 12:19 PM
are there any projectors that actually do this?

I don't know, problaby some external box/software. You know me just a white little innocent rabbit ;-)

Bullen

tharding
18-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Quite easy with the grid test pattern.

The Barco RLM G5 has some built in functions for wide screen overlap.

Also check out Watchout from Dataton which is designed to do exactly this - multiple projector overlaps for really wide screen.

It would be really cool if the Catalyst developed this kind of functionality.

Cheers

Toby

tylerr
18-03-2004, 04:56 PM
It would be great to have some kind of overlap ability. I know a screen pro can do this as well as the watchout system. However if my understanging of the watchout is correct it can also play video clips and with audio and in real time. Kind of a hard sell to a client. I can hear it now, "why do I need a catalyst if watchout can do that?"

Tyler

samsc
18-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Kind of a hard sell to a client. I can hear it now, "why do I need a catalyst if watchout can do that?"

Tyler

dmx control.
Catalyst is a live tool.

tylerr
18-03-2004, 05:13 PM
dmx control.
Catalyst is a live tool.

Correct but still a hard sell for some.

samsc
18-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Correct but still a hard sell for some.

i went to the watchout launch 3 years ago.
i know what it does.
dataton and myself had kindof this competing product thing going.
we both did show control software as well.

i always focussed much more on live control, and live manipulation.

there are many many ways to produce the final result.
including using very simple technology live just a dvd player.
you can do all the blending, all the effects in post-production. you dont need anything else.

it depends on what else you need to happen.

in the watchout system, there is a single timeline ( or used to be ) and everything has to be preprogrammed in a specific order at a specific time.
you can only go forwards you dont have individual control of the elements in your 'composition' -live.

i was trying to do something that was useful in live environments where you didnt know exactly what was going to happen, when it was going to happen or how it was going to happen.
something that was a little freer than one single timeline moving forwards.

tharding
18-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Precisely why I have gone with Catalyst!

I guess the main thing I was referring to was the blending features.

You can't beat the live manipulation abilities of Catalyst. Offers a much wider range of uses.

My clients in the corporate world love the option of incorporating graphics/logos etc. at the last minute especially given that rehearsal time is so limited on many of these events.

samsc
22-03-2004, 05:32 PM
My clients in the corporate world love the option of incorporating graphics/logos etc. at the last minute especially given that rehearsal time is so limited on many of these events.

Watchout - has its place - if you need more graphics intensive stuff - or you have been able to tie everything down in the production and post-production process.

but my experience doing shows and trade shows for the last 15 years, has been that clients havent often got things sorted out, and dont ever get them sorted out.

Sometimes they have no idea what they are doing or why.
Its all a bit of a hack -

But they still need to get a show out of it - in the easiest way possible, and they need to see and experience variations of things as easily as possible, so that they can decide in the show context.

I tried to do something that is 'suck it and see'.

I tried to do something that doesnt always require much preparation - something you can fiddle with - and still get effective results.

samsc
22-03-2004, 05:45 PM
I guess the main thing I was referring to was the blending features.

the blending stuff comes from watching a lot of abstract art films at various film coops in the last 20 years.

i always like the way film artists like stan brakhage
http://www.fredcamper.com/Film/BrakhageL.html
and many other sites....
created visual experiences by printing in certain ways on optical film printers.
thats why there is a random play mode....

I always liked the experiments with film loops.

So in the software a key thing is to be able to do rhythmical effects like play 2 loops together - of slightly different lengths - with a different blending mode.
You then get a visual rhythm set up - and the image doesnt repeat - its like a sampler.

Im quite influenced by experimental films....