PDA

View Full Version : Problems editing Hog 2 lib.lib files on a mac

samsc
18-03-2004, 08:38 AM
You cannot use a word processor program to edit library files.
You have to use a very simple text editor.

Danny uses the Xcode development editor, i use codewarrior, this is because all other text editing programs seem to change or alter the <carriage return line feed> characters at the end of each line.

Also programs like 'Word' Add tons of other information to the file, making it unreadable.

You need a program which adds nothing extra to the file, and preserves everything thats there.

Any suggestions anyone?

What do PC users use?

tharding
18-03-2004, 01:43 PM
You should be able to save as a plain text file from Word and avoid the additional code. Not sure if this is still the case with OS X as I used to do this in OS 9 with Office 98.

Wordpad on PC usually works fine for me but I have used Word in the past too.

You just need to make sure the file is still .lib and doesn't get changed to .txt or .doc especially as many Mac users aren't used to seeing file extensions.

Cheers

Toby

Spam Butterfly
19-03-2004, 11:22 AM
I find Text Edit on the Mac perfectly adequate for editing _lib.lib files.
On the PC, Notepad or Textpad (slightly more advanced text editor) both work very well.

Hugh
FPS

samsc
19-03-2004, 11:29 AM
I find Text Edit on the Mac perfectly adequate for editing _lib.lib files.
FPS

I see a menu option in textedit.

Format->Make Plain text
switching to
Format->Make Rich text

I guess one should have Plain text turned on.

There are also some new document preferences - to set the new file to use plain text or rich text

tharding
21-03-2004, 11:47 AM
I would avoid RTF as it allows for embedding graphics etc. Makes for larger files and invariably includes information not required.

Plain text is definitely the way to go.

samsc
21-03-2004, 09:51 PM
I would avoid RTF as it allows for embedding graphics etc. Makes for larger files and invariably includes information not required.

Plain text is definitely the way to go.

you really dont want to do any rtf stuff.

when i started writing the software, i used to auto generate a library file, and the hog is very very sensitive to spurious information,
its very sensitive to line endings too.
they must be in the form <carriage return line feed> or "\n\r" to c programmers.
macs dont do this correctly.
and these characters are invisible. you cant see them in a text editor.
thats why danny uses the xcode editor, and i use code warrior - to edit library files