PDA

View Full Version : mtron ssd & tiger

Raggi di Luce
22-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi there
maybe it was already discussed, but
1- I was considering with my chief to add a mtron 7500 3,5 64gb ssd to his 4core 2007 Mac Pro and I just read from dvnation that Leopard IS needed.
Do I consider a whole upgrade to leopard to use that hd?
Just to say that, with x1900 and a scsi HES provided hd it's about 3 1400x1050 AIC 25fps ok. Of course we could need more :)

2- I've to prepare that Mac for a remote control using a public IP and Cat's internal server. Any suggestions or settings good to know before to start?

thanks
stefano
Raggi di Luce

SourceChild
23-09-2008, 01:20 AM
I was considering with my chief to add a mtron 7500 3.5 64gb ssd to his 4core 2007 Mac Pro

I suggest the 7500 instead of the 7000. Good choice. I have same configuration in a machine.

...I just read from dvnation that Leopard IS needed.

I know the guy who owns dvnation. He's cool but he's also cautious. You'll be fine. Tiger works just fine.

You do not need Leopard to use Mtron or any other SSD.

Tiger is actually a better choice for reasons listed in other threads on this forum. Either one will be just fine though.

Do I consider a whole upgrade to leopard to use that hd?

If you have Leopard and need to use the Mac Pro for things other than just Catalyst, consider upgrading. Otherwise you don't need it.

Just to say that, with x1900 and a scsi HES provided hd it's about 3 1400x1050 AIC 25fps ok.

The x1900XT is the best card for Catalyst. You don't need the SCSI card anymore. The SCSI is not necessary if you have an Mtron SSD.

I've to prepare that Mac for a remote control using a public IP and Cat's internal server. Any suggestions or settings good to know before to start?

You say "public IP." Catalyst uses a multicast format which can overload a busy network. If you plan on using IP for Catalyst I suggest you only use Catalyst on a small network with only the devices you need. If you need to access Catalyst on a different network, use a router to pass network data from public network to the private Catalyst network.

If you need help with this, you can contact me off board. I have consulted several systems such as this before.

Mr_P
23-09-2008, 03:11 AM
Just to re-itterate....

YOU DONT NEED LEOPARD TO USE SSD OR PLAYBACK HD CONTENT!!!!

Tiger works just fine with both - disable spotlight by putting the drives into 'privacy' - and disable dashboard. Turn off all power-saving etc.

If you already have Tiger - stick with it - dont bother upgrading. Theres no benefit. X1900XT is fine on 2007 Macs
Would recommend 2G Ram (min) for 2007 Macs

If you have Leopard - stick with it - dont downgrade!
Nvidia Ge-force 8800GT is fine on 2008 Macs
Would recommend 4G Ram (min) for 2008 Macs

Re 7500 vs 7000 SSD - theres negligible difference in performance - save your money and go with the 7000 if its available.

ping141
23-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Just to re-itterate....

Would recommend 4G Ram (min) for 2008 Macs

Why is that? Have you run into any problems with 2 gigs on these machines?

samsc
23-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Why is that? Have you run into any problems with 2 gigs on these machines?

i have never seen any improvements made by adding memory- beyond that required by the operating system-

if someone would like to offer some real information on why they keep suggesting this - i would welcome it.

Mr_P
24-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Granted - 2G RAM is sufficient for Catalyst.

4G does help with other apps such as photoshop / motion / after-effects
(not running at the same time!...)

S

emilianomorgia
25-09-2008, 01:38 AM
i have never seen any improvements made by adding memory- beyond that required by the operating system-

if someone would like to offer some real information on why they keep suggesting this - i would welcome it.

I know why! I know why! there are systm in italy with 16 giga ram ....

because the reseller made money on the ram they sell to stupid clients that's why most of the machine here have 6 or 8 or even 16 giga ram " it make it run faster ... " so they say .

Ah ... don't forget tough only two sata disks sold at the same price of ssd ...

samsc
25-09-2008, 07:48 AM
I know why! I know why! there are systm in italy with 16 giga ram ....

because the reseller made money on the ram they sell to stupid clients that's why most of the machine here have 6 or 8 or even 16 giga ram " it make it run faster ... " so they say .

Ah ... don't forget tough only two sata disks sell at the same price of ssd ...

MTRON ssd - do improve things enormously - over any sata or scsi disc.

Prices for SSD have fallen very quickly in the last year - and will probably fall even faster this year.

ping141
25-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Granted - 2G RAM is sufficient for Catalyst.

4G does help with other apps such as photoshop / motion / after-effects
(not running at the same time!...)

S

True enough, but that has little to do with the Macs being from 2007 or 2008...

Mr_P
25-09-2008, 12:11 PM

2007 macs base spec only included 1G RAM
2008 macs base spec include 2G RAM

for the reasons stated I recommended double - RAM prices vary on a daily basis - but its only about £40-60 for a (crutial/kingston) 2G upgrade, less for a 1G

Do what you want - based on what else I do with my macs, I find the investment worthwhile.....

S

samsc
26-09-2008, 05:56 PM

the difference is the OS requirements-
2007 macs shipped with tiger which was happy with 1GB.

2008 macs ship with Leopard which needs 2GB to be happy.

( catalyst ran with 512MB from 2003 g5's - which was the 10.3 OS requirement. )