PDA

View Full Version : How to configure video input?

Leif
20-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi.

First, let me tell you I'm wearing my "Hi, I'm new here" name tag even if you can't see it.

I'm running the latest build on a brand new MacPro (GeForce 8800, if that matters). I use the term "running" loosely as I'm just learning it, but I'm able to control everything from a grandMA, add files to the library, blah blah blah. Everything seems as it ought to be.

EXCEPT that I can't figure out how to configure a live input, and God knows I've been trying for hours.

I have an Imaging Source firewire grabber.
http://www.theimagingsource.com/en/products/converters/dfg13941e/overview/
I have been able to verify that it is capturing video by using a simple app called video viewer, and also by firing up my old media server app. Both of these apps are getting the video stream.

Catalyst, however, will not find or recognize the device as a source. When I go to the "inputs" window in the HUD, there are no options to choose from (no valid sources). I've tried tweaking the options in the preferences window but to no avail.

Am I supposed to put drivers in certain place for Catalyst to look? I am skeptical of this as the other apps find the source with the driver simply in the default location (/library/quicktime).

But like I said, I'm new here.

Thanks in advance. Try to contain your snickering.

Leif D

Leif
22-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Big thanks to Emiliano Morgia who helped me get the capture device working. It's still a bit of a mystery what the problem was (and how to fix it again, if it stops working!) but for now I can use it to program at home.

Thanks Emiliano!

-LD

emilianomorgia
22-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Thanks Emiliano!

No problem you are welcome. The mystery it's that now the catalyst recognize the video firewire box but Qt doesn't .

to make it work I've enabled more then just the default 1 video input and it happen that the box was video input number two .

Strange thing tough it's that once I've then disabled the second input the firewire box appear in the first input .

I don't know I know it's sound spaghetti but that's what happen

SourceChild
22-09-2008, 07:05 PM
What was the final solution?

Leif
26-09-2008, 01:36 AM
What was the final solution?

It appears to have been a driver issue but I'm not completely sure.
The device finally showed up in Catalyst after we installed a new driver, so that was probably the issue.
It's very strange, however, that the test apps I used were able to find that source without a driver update. I would've guessed it to be an all-or-nothing situation, but apparently some apps could find it with the older driver, while Catalyst required a newer one.