PDA

View Full Version : Programming interface on Second graphics card?

gazzer82
28-08-2008, 01:06 PM
As almost all of my programming work is via the built-in preset/cue list i am limited to three or four outputs per system, what would be ideal would be to be able to have the HUD and Cue List/Presets e.t.c displayed on a second graphics card. I am aware that i can drag the cue-list e.t.c to a second window, but that doesn't give me any real scope to actually programming via the HUD.

It would add a lot more value to the systems for us, from a rental point of view, as we are more and more needing to use more than three/four ouputs on shows that really do not have a budget for a second system, especially when you need backup/tracking machines.

Cheers

Gareth

SourceChild
28-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I have written a basic application which edits the XML files that store the catalyst setting. This is not a realtime application but it does give me the ability to use a remote computer for programming Catalyst.

Obviously this is simply a tool I created for my own use but it wasn't terribly hard to make and it has some added functionality that speeds up creating cues.

As far as your system, 4 outputs is the limit using a TH2G. Unless you stack video cards. But that causes issues.

gazzer82
28-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Hmm, i hadn't really thought about editing the XML files directly, but i don't think it will help with the kind of programming i need to do, which is inherently real-time and always rushed!!

I am aware of the issues surrounding outputting video from two card, and having issues with sync. That's why i suggested using using two THTG on a single X1900 for the two ouputs and then using a second card purely for programming, hopefully this would prevent any issues.

Cheers

Gareth

SourceChild
29-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Hmm, i hadn't really thought about editing the XML files directly...

The reason I do this is because my little tool allows me to preprogram a 100+ preset and cuelist before ever even getting to show site. It also allows me to close Catalyst and replicate settings between cues very rapidly.

Granted, I must close Catalyst to use my tool but it's freaking fast.

...but i don't think it will help with the kind of programming i need to do, which is inherently real-time and always rushed!!

Welcome to the world of Production.

I am aware of the issues surrounding outputting video from two card, and having issues with sync. That's why i suggested using using two THTG on a single X1900 for the two ouputs and then using a second card purely for programming, hopefully this would prevent any issues.

I've only tried this once but I had a show where I was driving 12 old TVs. I wanted to use Catalyst but only one machine. So I stuck 2 X1900 cards in the machine and tried 4 TH2G boxes. I also tried 2 Quatro FX cards as well.

To put it simply, they just don't work. I even tried hacking the hell out of the core operating system to spoof it into thinking each video card was a single output.

The bottom line is that 2 cards just don't yet work with Catalyst.

Perhaps someday (maybe after Snow Leopard) Richard will integrate support for 2 cards.

emilianomorgia
29-08-2008, 07:26 AM
As almost all of my programming work is via the built-in preset/cue list i am limited to three or four outputs per system, what would be ideal would be to be able to have the HUD and Cue List/Presets e.t.c displayed on a second graphics card. I am aware that i can drag the cue-list e.t.c to a second window, but that doesn't give me any real scope to actually programming via the HUD.

It would add a lot more value to the systems for us, from a rental point of view, as we are more and more needing to use more than three/four ouputs on shows that really do not have a budget for a second system, especially when you need backup/tracking machines.

Cheers

Gareth

What do you mean second card ?

catalyst work with only one GPU ( at the moment )