PDA

View Full Version : macbook pro

Jerome
23-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Hello,

I am using a macbook pro with SAMSC d38.
The machine froze 2 times during a show.
It's not a problem with SAMSC as I had the problem with other softs (live and Mplayer).
So, be carefull using macintel based computers.
I don't know if the problem is hardware or software, the only thing I can say: I am tired with apple.

My computer: macbook pro core duo 2,16 Mhz memory: 1 Go
OS 10.5.2

regards.

Jerome.

Peter
23-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Perhaps you should downgrade to tiger. I have no problems. I once used the cuelist in catalyst to send msc and midi program changes to logicpro, arkaos and midi over ethernet to a G4 all at the same time.

I use the higher model 2,33 - 2Gb ram - 256 vram.

SourceChild
04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Jerome,

Please let me tell you something.

I am a lighting and video programmer but I started out in high school as a hacker. Sadly though I took the windows route and didn't spend as much time with UNIX and Linux as I probably should have.

I have an MCSE, MSDB, and MSOE from Microsoft. I also have a CCNP, CCNA, and a CCIE from Cisco.

I never used Macs until about 2 years ago when I bought 2 as Catalyst machines. Still though I only used them to run Catalyst. It was only in the past year when I really got into using my Mac for other things.

As an animator I was doing 3ds Max and AutoCAD (which only run on PC). I also used MS Project and OneNote (not to mention a whole array of other PC apps).

I started learning Maya, already knew all the Adobe crap. When I used the on a Mac the first time I was shocked! I sat down in front of Cinema 4D and was instantly hooked.

Having the two Macs, I installed bootcamp images of XP so I could use them as render machines for a project I was working on. My $5000 Mac pro was actually faster running XP than my $9000 Boxxtech PC. Oh and XP didn't crash on the Mac Pro.

I started using macs more. Even started using them for things like email and other stuff I normally did on PCs.

I had a $6000 Alienware laptop with an Opteron Processor. The thing is heavy as hell and burns through a full battery in 20 minutes. My brand new Macbook Pro is faster, lighter, quieter, and hasn't crashed yet.

I even started learning Xcode. I bought several books on Xcode and on Applescripts. I learned the core of UNIX and now, I can do things that I never imagined doing on a PC faster and easier with a Mac.

I bought myself another Mac pro which I made my main work station. I have also turned all my PC work stations into Hackintosh computers (see OSX86Project).

As of a week ago, I am now totally OSX. I do own parallels desktop for Mac which is a virtualization software that allows me to install XP but I only use it for a few remaining things.

THE BOTTOM LINE...

I wish I can take back all the years I wasted using PCs. I wish I could get back all the money I wasted on PC hardware. Everything and I do mean everything is better on Mac.

Even now today with 10.5.3 upgrade, things got even better. PLEASE!

Consider things differently. If you were trying to do your show on a PC, it wouldn't work at all. I'm sure with a bit of changing, your system will become flawless as well.

Jerome
04-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Hello,

Well, after lots of researchs, the problem seems to be the upgrade to Leopard.
So, do not upgrade to Leopard, backup your files, erase the disk and then install Leopard.
The problem seems to be fixed like this.
There is not one line about this in the apple support or in an install recommandation.

regards.

Jerome.

SourceChild
04-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Jerome,

You are correct. The more you use a machine, the more "seasoned" it becomes. When the application architecture changes completely yet all the library files are conditioned to the way the older OS operated, there will be all kinds of conflicts.

Just knowing the architecture of the core processes, I can tell you that in many cases the old setting will prevail on an upgrade even for features that have become obsolete.

If it ever becomes an issue for you again to upgrade a Tiger, Panther, or older version of OSX to Leopard, simply archive your files into a backup. Once you have the files backed up, install Leopard on a new disk (or resize the old OS partition to a smaller amount and install Leopard into a new partition). Then use the settings transfer wizard to load all the old settings into your new Leopard install. (If you did the partition method, just delete the old partition and expand the new Leopard one).

Oh and just a note! If you use any computer for mission critical applications (such as a show controller), always make sure you are running fresh. I have a script which I run once a month which wipes the OS, reinstalls everything, and then transfers my Catalyst settings (or any other app settings). It takes about an hour to run but I just walk away and come back to a fresh machine.