PDA

View Full Version : Synchronizing two systems

Mauricio Caicedo
14-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I am using two catalyst systems and I need to synchronize one layer in machine one to a layer in machine 2, how do I go about i???

I know how to synchronize layers in the same machine, and I have both machines networked.

any help would be appreciated....
thanks

Mr_P
14-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Set the Sync ID on the MASTER server (at bottom of the Layers HUD)
ie layer 1 - Sync ID 1 etc...

When programming the SLAVE server, use the playmode 'SYNC to ID x' depending upon which layer you want to sync to on the MASTER server

You will also need an ethernet cable between the 2 servers (or on a network) with valid IP addresses for them to communicate. Cant remember if you need apple talk enabled or not...

Simon

Mauricio Caicedo
14-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I just did that...
I am using sync between layer in machine 1, and they work well, but layers on machine 2 don't synchronize to the ids in machine 1, I am obviously not repeating sync Ids on both machines, what I mean is that certain layers on machine 1, have sync ids from 1 to 5, and certain layers on machine 2 have sync ids from 6 to 10.

I just tried, didn't work, enabled apple talk, tried again, and still doesn't work...
do I need to restart after enabling apple talk????
has anyone done this before succesfully????

Mauricio Caicedo
14-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I just restarted after enabling apple talk with no luck, machine 2 will not sync to sync ids in machine 1, any help would be appreciated.

tharding
14-05-2008, 11:54 PM
You don't need appletalk! Just make sure you can see each computer from the other over a network.

Make sure you have "Broadcast to Remote Preview On" on the Master and "Accept remote commands" selected on the slave machine.

Make sure you have seperate Sync IDs for all transmitting layers.

Cheers

Toby

Mr_P
15-05-2008, 01:13 AM
yes - don't forget "Broadcast to Remote Preview On"

RedLightning
15-05-2008, 03:51 AM
what are you using for control?

I have used artnet with matching address/seperate IP's on the same network with identical content, then just a/b switch between outputs

-s

samsc
15-05-2008, 02:15 PM
this needs to be set to on here:

then you should see the catalyst in the 'remotes' HUD.

SourceChild
15-05-2008, 04:01 PM
I know it is mentioned to connect with an ethernet cable.
This is a simple thing you've probably already thought about but you can only connect computers directly to each other if you use a "Cross" cable. (A cable with TX and RX pairs reversed).

I have switches in my racks so I don't need cross cables but if you are not using a switch or hub, you will.

Also, if no other computers are connected except the two you are using then you are also running into the fact there is no DHCP server. For this, just manually assign IP addressed to each machine.

Example settings are 192.168.0.2 for first machine and 192.168.0.3 for second machine. Also set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 which shouldn't matter but okay to do anyway. Don't set a default gateway and don't set DNS servers. You won't need them.

Once you do this, you should be able to connect.

SourceChild
15-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Some other suggestions for using sync.

Make sure the slave machines are running less layers. The sync slaving feature has a subtle latency and there is not reason to help make it worse.

Also, very important is to make sure file sharing is turned off. This should be the case anyway but when hooking machines together, it creates extra overhead.

Also try to only use one machine as a master. There are 20 sync IDs but if you keep it simple, you'll save time in the long run.

Keep your slave IDs logical. Typically I always make layer 1 sync ID 1 and so on. Also, since 16 layer of Catalyst can run on one machine, that eats up 16 sync IDs.

A little help from a programming perspective, it was always easier to build my preset palettes when I knew that one machine was always a slave. I just touched one preset every time I grabbed a layer and never had to worry about Inframe, Outframe, play mode, play speed, or anything else. It saved tons of time.

Mauricio Caicedo
15-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys, I was missing the part setting up the remote on the software.
I will try it now and let you know!!!
thanks for your help

Mauricio Caicedo
15-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Works like a charm, I would like to thank you all for your help, We are working on Marcos Witt new CD and DVD, It's going to be recorded live on his concert here in Bogota on saturday may 17th.
Our Catalysts are doing the screens for the concert.
So the DVD production team thanks all of you as well.

Once again, a million thank yous.

Mr_P
16-05-2008, 12:06 PM
This is a simple thing you've probably already thought about but you can only connect computers directly to each other if you use a "Cross" cable. (A cable with TX and RX pairs reversed).

Macs are Auto MDI/MDIX - ie you can use either a 'cross' or 'straight' cable to connect between 2 of them.

However, some hubs/switches may not be - so best to use 'straight' patch cables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_dependent_interface

S

SourceChild
16-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Macs are Auto MDI/MDIX - ie you can use either a 'cross' or 'straight' cable to connect between 2 of them.
S

Well, you're right. For some reason I was under the impression that G5 Macs were not Auto MDIX.

Apparently since G4 Apple has chosen Auto MDIX ethernet ports.

samsc
18-05-2008, 06:32 PM

I have switches in my racks so I don't need cross cables but if you are not using a switch or hub, you will.

Also, if no other computers are connected except the two you are using then you are also running into the fact there is no DHCP server. For this, just manually assign IP addressed to each machine.

Example settings are 192.168.0.2 for first machine and 192.168.0.3 for second machine. Also set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 which shouldn't matter but okay to do anyway. Don't set a default gateway and don't set DNS servers. You won't need them.

Once you do this, you should be able to connect.

you dont need crossovers on macs for many years - they autodetect the ethernet connectivity-

it can be more of a problem if you do use crossover cables -
and it can be a problem if another device senses with a different delay. then the autonegotiate can get in the way - i suggest when using dumb artnet boxes always using a hub - with another mac- its not usually a problem.

also - you dont have to have any ip address set up for syncing - it uses a broadcast protocol that is not sensitive to address ( as long as the mac has some address the actual address doesnt matter )

SourceChild
19-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey Richard, I am curious to some of your statements and would love it it you could clarify what you mean. I'm a little confused.

...a problem if another device senses with a different delay...

What do you mean by senses with a different delay? Are you referring to issues with packet collisions?

then the autonegotiate can get in the way

Are you referring to auto-negotiate in Catalyst or from a switch?

i suggest when using dumb artnet boxes always using a hub

Do you mean using a hub as opposed to a switch? Or do you mean using a hub as an intermediate step between the MAC and the Artnet device?

A couple other questions...

Is there a way to adapt the software where a user can choose which Ethernet port?
How about a way to use Catalyst as a DHCP server?
How about a way to narrow Catalyst Control so it's not a full subnet multicast?