PDA

View Full Version : poor playback performance -m171

kiwi
09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
hi Richard,
you may have already fixed this but,
I've noticed on all my systems that playback performance is hugely reduced when both outputs are in full screen mode.
I am using both apple intermediate and photo JPEG codecs.
I have a TH2G on DVI2 and a local monitor on DVI1. Playing back one movie on a layer, outputting through the THTG, if I have screen 1 in full screen with the HUD up, playback is noticabley reduced. Taking screen 1 out of full screen corrects this.

Regards
Paul

Gian
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I had this problem before with a Video Card 7300 ( what comes with the the Mac), I solved that exchange the Video Card to a ATI X1900.

kiwi
10-05-2008, 09:25 AM
I had this problem before with a Video Card 7300 ( what comes with the the Mac), I solved that exchange the Video Card to a ATI X1900.

Sorry i should have mentioned, using a Radeon 1900XT Graphics card

Mr_P
10-05-2008, 11:51 AM
What Drives are you using? - try SSD if possible
Are you dropping frames? How many movies are you playing back at a time?
Re-code the photoJPEGs to AI should help.
Check the image quality - in most cases 50% will do not 100%
What is your final output? Projector?
What resolution are you running with TH2G - If going to a scan converter, can you reduce the output resolution in to the scan converter?

m171 is a custom version I think - so Richard may be able to suggest more...

Simon

SourceChild
11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
It's not the Catalyst software. I'm pretty sure if you're using a different build you will still see the same thing however Simon is right that Richard will have to make that final determination.

The problem you are experiencing is that the video card cannot properly process two TH2G at the same time. There are only three configurations I have had so far that allow for two TH2G to run at the same time without problems for any resolution higher than 2400x600.

Gen 2 Intel Mac Pro with nVidia Quatro FX 5600 card
Gen 2 Intel Mac Pro with Geforce 8800 GT card
Gen 1 Intel Mac Pro with nVidia Quatro FX 4500 card

The x1900 is a solid card. It typically works better on the Gen 1 machines but it won't run 2 TH2G at a resolution higher than 2400x600 on each. Even doing that, it's sluggish.

If you intend to run two TH2G on your machine with the x1900, I suggest you do it running at the lower setting of 1920x480 (3 by 640x480) for each TH2G. If however you want to keep at a higher resolution like 3072x768 (first make sure your content is 25FPS since 3072x768 only works at 75Hz) or at 3840x1024 (which runs 60Hz), I suggest you just run one TH2G at the time or else put one of the Quatro FX cards in your Mac.

Incidentally, I am running m180 which is also a custom version. I don't know what the difference is between your version and mine but I have run m180 in the following environments.

Running 2 TH2G at 3840x1024 (6 screens 1280x1024)
Gen 2 Intel Mac Pro with nVidia Geforce 8800 GT card
Running 2 TH2G at 3072x768 (6 screens 1024x768)
Running 2 TH2G at 3072x768 (6 screens1024x768)

In each machine, I also ran two 64Gb Mtron SSD disks striped together. If you have any questions, I can review the results of my research and give you feedback.

kiwi
11-05-2008, 06:32 PM
What Drives are you using? - try SSD if possible
Are you dropping frames? How many movies are you playing back at a time?
Re-code the photoJPEGs to AI should help.
Check the image quality - in most cases 50% will do not 100%
What is your final output? Projector?
What resolution are you running with TH2G - If going to a scan converter, can you reduce the output resolution in to the scan converter?

m171 is a custom version I think - so Richard may be able to suggest more...

Simon

combination of Mtron SSD and Fujitsu 15K SCSI
The same thing happens for both AI and photo jpeg 50%
final output projector, but makes no difference if I view on a projector a TFT
I'm running each THTG output at 1024x768
it is VGA to direct to the projector

Paul

kiwi
11-05-2008, 06:38 PM
It's not the Catalyst software. I'm pretty sure if you're using a different build you will still see the same thing however Simon is right that Richard will have to make that final determination.

The problem you are experiencing is that the video card cannot properly process two TH2G at the same time. There are only three configurations I have had so far that allow for two TH2G to run at the same time without problems for any resolution higher than 2400x600.

Gen 2 Intel Mac Pro with Geforce 8800 GT card

The x1900 is a solid card. It typically works better on the Gen 1 machines but it won't run 2 TH2G at a resolution higher than 2400x600 on each. Even doing that, it's sluggish.

If you intend to run two TH2G on your machine with the x1900, I suggest you do it running at the lower setting of 1920x480 (3 by 640x480) for each TH2G. If however you want to keep at a higher resolution like 3072x768 (first make sure your content is 25FPS since 3072x768 only works at 75Hz) or at 3840x1024 (which runs 60Hz), I suggest you just run one TH2G at the time or else put one of the Quatro FX cards in your Mac.

Incidentally, I am running m180 which is also a custom version. I don't know what the difference is between your version and mine but I have run m180 in the following environments.

Gen 2 Intel Mac Pro with nVidia Geforce 8800 GT card
Running 2 TH2G at 3072x768 (6 screens 1024x768)
Running 2 TH2G at 3072x768 (6 screens1024x768)

In each machine, I also ran two 64Gb Mtron SSD disks striped together. If you have any questions, I can review the results of my research and give you feedback.

Todd,
Where did you get the idea that I'm running two THTG? I'm simply running one THTG at 3072x768, nice simple and proven.
I'm pretty sure this is a bug I'm experiencing as I get the same result across different machines of different configurations (Mac Pro, older G5, and mac book pro)
m180 may well have fixed this along with a few other bugs

Paul

Mr_P
12-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Paul

Ive certainly had your configuration up an running with no apparent problems on a gen1 intel MacPro with X1900XT and TH2G at 3072x768 @75Hz on OS10.4.11 with QT7.3.1 - running m165 (and m167)

I dont know what customisations you may have in m171 - However, a quick test would be to use the current release version m165 to see if you are still getting the same issues...

There were also some murmurings about quicktime versions recently - Im still running QT7.3.1 - Apple did something in QT7.4, not sure if its fixed in recent QT version - check with Richard.

S

SourceChild
12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Where did you get the idea that I'm running two THTG?

:eek:

Well, at the time I was reading your post, a few girls showed up to take me to the lake. What can I say... :D I was distracted.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug I'm experiencing as I get the same result across different machines.

I think you're right because m180 and m165 are working fine with my TH2Gs on Gen2 MP and MBP.

samsc
13-05-2008, 09:50 PM
hi Richard,
I've noticed on all my systems that playback performance is hugely reduced when both outputs are in full screen mode.
I am using both apple intermediate and photo JPEG codecs.
I have a TH2G on DVI2 and a local monitor on DVI1. Playing back one movie on a layer, outputting through the THTG, if I have screen 1 in full screen with the HUD up, playback is noticabley reduced. Taking screen 1 out of full screen corrects this.

Regards
Paul

this is not my software- its not related to movies playback
its the graphics drivers not liking some combination of screen refresh rates/sizes -when you use both outputs - its not so nice and simple...

you say you are running a dvi monitor and a thtg - you might be running one output with dvi and the other with vga - sometimes it really doesnt like this either.
they have different refresh rates.
running different monitors with different screen sizes and refresh rates can cause the graphics drivers to lock out while they try to figure out which screen they should be updating next....

you need to double check your overall screen size and refresh rates.
for example thtg does not work at 75hz in some modes.
and conflicts with other screen at 75Hz.

you have to find a combination that DOES work - not one that DOESNT - it if doesnt work there isnt anything i can do about it- its not my software - its the OS.

In the stats HUD - you need to check the exact refresh rates.

Please post your HUD stats - showing what i show here-

samsc
13-05-2008, 09:56 PM
hi Richard,

Regards
Paul

do you have any other HUD elements on the other screens such as layers displays? etc?

you should try to minimise these too.

I have noticed in the past you have had large HUD screens open as well as playback.

samsc
19-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Paul

There were also some murmurings about quicktime versions recently - Im still running QT7.3.1 - Apple did something in QT7.4, not sure if its fixed in recent QT version - check with Richard.

S

nothing to do with quicktime.
nothing to do with m171.

when a refresh rate says its 75hz its not - its 75.02, or 75.03 - and its slightly different at every single monitor resolution - and different between dvi and vga- ( even at the same resolution ) ( connecting one monitor with vga and the other with dvi - i have seen this not work well )
and these slight timing differences can cause problems.
its something that needs testing on end users system - as its not always something that is a problem.

SourceChild
19-05-2008, 04:41 PM
when a refresh rate says its 75hz its not - its 75.02, or 75.03 - and its slightly different at every single monitor resolution - and different between dvi and vga- ( even at the same resolution ) ( connecting one monitor with vga and the other with dvi - i have seen this not work well )
and these slight timing differences can cause problems.
its something that needs testing on end users system - as its not always something that is a problem.

One of the things I have been researching is DVI to 5-Wire BNC connectors. Since obviously we all have a more common tendency to drive our projectors with 5-Wire BNC I figured the would be one less connection in the path to troubleshoot.

What I found is something from Gefen which has a Male DVI which 'Y's out to 5 BNC plugs and a Female DVI plug. I didn't know why they did this. It didn't make sense to me. The explained it would allow a user to attach a DVI screen and run a 5-wire signal simultaneously.

Surprising what I found!
Apparently many video cards can drive DVI and VGA simultaneously through the same port. In this case, a user can attach one of these DVI BNC Y-adaptors and view an analog and digital signal simultaneously on two different output devices.

(Basically, I can setup my racks to output DVI and BNC simultaneously without needing a converter.)

I have been researching the video cards in MACs. They perform this function. I am reading into the Quartz specs to see how this is controlled and if it produces signal overhead. What I am thinking is that perhaps a command key can be entered by a user into the terminal which will disable either the DVI or the VGA.
(~"PLEASE NOTE THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO HACK IN UNIX"~)

The hope in this discovery is to determine if some of the overhead issues can be alleviated by using this fix. I will report further as I find out.

samsc
02-11-2008, 11:11 PM
the 3 different types of DVI doesnt make things easy. DVI-A DVI-D DVI-I
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

5 wire bnc doesnt do EDID-

so it will default to standard resolutions. and might cause troubles.

---
dvi/vga enabling - this happens in the hardware - its not related to 'quartz'.

One of the things I have been researching is DVI to 5-Wire BNC connectors. Since obviously we all have a more common tendency to drive our projectors with 5-Wire BNC I figured the would be one less connection in the path to troubleshoot.

What I found is something from Gefen which has a Male DVI which 'Y's out to 5 BNC plugs and a Female DVI plug. I didn't know why they did this. It didn't make sense to me. The explained it would allow a user to attach a DVI screen and run a 5-wire signal simultaneously.

Surprising what I found!
Apparently many video cards can drive DVI and VGA simultaneously through the same port. In this case, a user can attach one of these DVI BNC Y-adaptors and view an analog and digital signal simultaneously on two different output devices.

(Basically, I can setup my racks to output DVI and BNC simultaneously without needing a converter.)

I have been researching the video cards in MACs. They perform this function. I am reading into the Quartz specs to see how this is controlled and if it produces signal overhead. What I am thinking is that perhaps a command key can be entered by a user into the terminal which will disable either the DVI or the VGA.
(~"PLEASE NOTE THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO HACK IN UNIX"~)

The hope in this discovery is to determine if some of the overhead issues can be alleviated by using this fix. I will report further as I find out.

SourceChild
06-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Did some looking. The problem is that when render data is sent to the GPU, the GPU will only render one display space. Since the graphics card might see an analog and a digital device at the same time, the analog device actually receives precedence. So using these DVI to DVI Y BNC 5-Wire cables means that if the final analog device is outside the scan range of the DVI viewing device, then the DVI device will not scan correctly.

Incidentally, I tend to always use 1024x768@75 (for 25fps) I got a few of these cables with the DVI Y BNC and they seem to work fine with my projectors and DVI monitors.

It's a good cheap solution when I can't justify the cost of having a half dozen Image Pros in a rack with me.

samsc
27-11-2008, 03:56 PM
sounds like trouble to me.

Did some looking. The problem is that when render data is sent to the GPU, the GPU will only render one display space. Since the graphics card might see an analog and a digital device at the same time, the analog device actually receives precedence. So using these DVI to DVI Y BNC 5-Wire cables means that if the final analog device is outside the scan range of the DVI viewing device, then the DVI device will not scan correctly.

Incidentally, I tend to always use 1024x768@75 (for 25fps) I got a few of these cables with the DVI Y BNC and they seem to work fine with my projectors and DVI monitors.

It's a good cheap solution when I can't justify the cost of having a half dozen Image Pros in a rack with me.