PDA

View Full Version : introduction & inquiry

kdelvo
19-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Richard & List,
My name is Ken Delvo and this is my first post here.

I have started using Catalyst recently and have been looking after them on several tours for XL.

My question or request is:

While using in stand-alone mode, is there a way to enter values into fields?

For instance... rotation. Currently you can put the cursor over the field and roll the mouse to change values.

What about?
click in a field, enter a known value, hit enter.
Tab to next field, enter value, hit enter.

If we want a layer to rotate, we know that we must set the rotation to over 720° Would be nice if you could just type in a value.

Anyway I really am getting into the application and discovering new things.
Keep up the good work.

Ken Delvo
kendelvo (AT) earthlink (DOT) net

samsc
19-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Richard & List,
My name is Ken Delvo and this is my first post here.

I have started using Catalyst recently and have been looking after them on several tours for XL.

My question or request is:

While using in stand-alone mode, is there a way to enter values into fields?

For instance... rotation. Currently you can put the cursor over the field and roll the mouse to change values.

What about?
click in a field, enter a known value, hit enter.
Tab to next field, enter value, hit enter.

If we want a layer to rotate, we know that we must set the rotation to over 720° Would be nice if you could just type in a value.

Anyway I really am getting into the application and discovering new things.
Keep up the good work.

Ken Delvo
kendelvo (AT) earthlink (DOT) net

you can right click on some values in the fields - but this brings up 'raw' values rather than real user values -
the complexity comes about because of the way this arose by being controlled through dmx.
it needs a different gui to represent this - and i havent quite got around to finishing it.

you can actually type in a real value for rotation - ( in recent versions as shown here )

SourceChild
23-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Hey Richard,

Can you enable this in V-FX, C-FX, File, Lib, and play mode? I just finished a hugh show using Local Presets and being able to type in these values is faster than scrolling.

One of a few requests I was hoping to make actually.

kdelvo
23-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Richard,
Thanks for enabling these numeric entries. Spent some time today using them. Would the ability to TAB thru these fields, in addition to the fields SourceChild requested, be possible?
This would make numeric entry quite fast. less mousing around : )

The application is becoming quite functional in standalone mode!

SourceChild
23-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Richard,
Thanks for enabling these numeric entries. Spent some time today using them. Would the ability to TAB thru these fields, in addition to the fields SourceChild requested, be possible?
This would make numeric entry quite fast. less mousing around : )

The application is becoming quite functional in standalone mode!

I tend to agree with this. However, I have a few other thoughts about the LAYERS window.

As a lighting programmer, I like the way that I can add individually attribute changes one by one through the outside Library window PRESET tab or by clicking to Edit a Preset in the inside Libraries window.

Many times though, I wish that I could use the LAYERS window to change only attributes I wanted to capture into a preset whereby only the "touched" attributes would "track" through.

Could there be a way to have a tab thru function for entering values in the LAYERS window where only edited values would show up in a capture. Something where the options would be "Snapshot All or Snapshot Touched."

gazzer82
28-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I would like to second that request, an update only what has changes would also be a great addition!!

kiwi
18-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes I agree a function to update a preset with only the touched parameters would be very useful.

I don't know about anyone else but I see the layers window as far more of a programming window. I find one of the things that slows down the programming process is having to jump between different windows and in and out of full screen mode (cue list, edit preset window, library window), rather than one centralized programming space.
Whist I suppose technically this should be the start of a new thread I'd like to share with you some ideas I have about how the layers window could be improved in general.

First of all being able to resize the window so to accommodate more layer screen real estate.

2) being able to toggle the values in each layer to display the value, fade time, delay time (another request) curve (snap/fade/snap fade etc), default value, default timing, default curve and which preset last changed that parameter

3) adjusting a parameter puts them into an "edit mode" and turns them a different colour, at the top or the bottom of each layer is a section to update current preset(s) with the parameters currently in edit mode (including fade times and curves), or store either the edited parameters or the whole layer into preset xx and add to cue x in cuelist x.x

4) at the bottom of the window, update, store edited parameters in all layers into preset x and add to cue x in cuelist x.x (maybe this could be combined with 3 somehow)

5) Tab between parameters and hot key jump to a specific layer.

6) Blind mode

I think this would greatly improve the functionality of the layers window and speed up "stand a lone" programming. This should also be familiar to anyone who programs a hog -or any lighting desk for that matter.

would love to hear what you think

Paul