PDA

View Full Version : FX flexibility

K DO
16-03-2004, 12:09 PM
I read quite a lot of time stuff about " the number of dmx channel a feature would need" like tor the CMY transparency.
What is the point to try to have the less dmx channel used. with Artnet or any ethernet tcp/ip protocol is almost no more limit and catalyst would be use in such kind of environment.
I don't own yet a catalyst system but try to take a decision: catalyst, radlite, VJ software.

The catalyst might be the best choice. exept for the ability to create complex effect and 3d effect: create and render 3d scene with shape (3dmax), video texture, camera mouvement....text manipulation in real time (I agree with you about the use of composing software like after effect...)

http://www.pilgrim-visuals.com/

Here is the best example. Have a dry with the demo
but no plug in for artnet protocole ( only midi and keyboard)

You design your set on the computer. Parameter for all you fx, you design your 3d scene, you set all the link for playback control, fx control.....
Then you get a "parameter map" like a dmx map .
as Artnet works in both directions , you sent your patch to the desk. If it is not supported by the desk's software you can edited ,on the computer, a _lib.lib personnality file.

samsc
17-03-2004, 01:03 PM
The problem really is one of usability and programmability using existing lighting consoles.
Lighting consoles enable the realtime selection and programming of many different parameters in live shows, and Catalyst is really designed at the moment to be used in conjunction with one.

The more channels - the harder it is for users to program the show, and to figure out the interactions between parameters.

I have to design something that is a compromise between usability and flexibilty.

Once a certain complexity is exceeded, the lighting console isnt a very good choice for running shows.
But if its kept simple enough - then its a very useful device.

---

Most current DMX consoles dont allow you to change the patch or the channels or the arrangement of channels live because the cues storage inside the lighting console relies upon a known relationship.