PDA

View Full Version : Current suggested specs?

ezbrown
01-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi all,
the minimum spec is somewhat vague from what I can find on the support notes and forums.
Basically, I'm rebuilding a G5 (dual 2.7) and wondered if anyone had got a build they were happy with running Catalyst v4 with OSX 10.4.??. Also, any recommendations as to what version of Decklink Extreme software and Quicktime version (you know how often they update the damn thing!!)?

Thanks all,

ez

NevBull
01-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Just use the most up to date drivers available on the manufacturers websites.

I would strongly recommend buying an Mtron SSD drive for content playback.

Nev.

samsc
01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi all,
the minimum spec is somewhat vague from what I can find on the support notes and forums.
Basically, I'm rebuilding a G5 (dual 2.7) and wondered if anyone had got a build they were happy with running Catalyst v4 with OSX 10.4.??. Also, any recommendations as to what version of Decklink Extreme software and Quicktime version (you know how often they update the damn thing!!)?

Thanks all,

ez

last version of osx10.4.11 worked fine.
10.5.x - leopard - really not recommended on older machines.

decklink gets updated just as often as quicktime.
blackmagic dont seem to break existing things.

on older machines - MTRON SSD's discs make a large difference too.

ezbrown
01-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Great, thanks gents! Now, assuming there's no problems in the current version of quicktime [ahem], I'll try that.

Thanks again,

ez

samsc
01-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Great, thanks gents! Now, assuming there's no problems in the current version of quicktime [ahem], I'll try that.

Thanks again,

ez

they broke flash support in the last update - ( or removed it for security .... )

SourceChild
03-04-2008, 12:02 AM
EZ,

for the love of God! Please do not upgrade your G5 to Leopard! Keep tiger. If you can, get an older x1900 for G5. This and the SSD will give you the ability to run as many as 10 layers of DV NTSC without issue. It will also give you the ability to run content on both outputs that actually stays in sync or give you the abilty to run a single TripleHead2Go on a single output for three screens.

samsc
03-04-2008, 05:57 AM
EZ,

for the love of God! Please do not upgrade your G5 to Leopard! Keep tiger. If you can, get an older x1900 for G5. This and the SSD will give you the ability to run as many as 10 layers of DV NTSC without issue. It will also give you the ability to run content on both outputs that actually stays in sync or give you the abilty to run a single TripleHead2Go on a single output for three screens.

x1900 is pci express only - there are no video card upgrades in production for the older dual g5's.
ssd's do work in older g5's.

ezbrown
04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Ha ha, don't worry Source, I wasn't gonna do anything as rash as that!! I'm happily running Leopard on my newer machine but the G5 will stay strictly Tiger only. My main concern was software version conflicts, but the other guys have re-assured me there. [phew!]
Have ordered an SSD as a SCSI drive is starting to get a bit shouty now, so fingers crossed we'll all be good from here... :)