PDA

View Full Version : Apple announce new Mac PRO Range

NevBull
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Hot off the press - Apple have just released a new range of Mac PRO's - all 8 core with a whole new range of graphics cards.

See http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

Pricing not available yet.

Nev.

jjrecort
08-01-2008, 05:09 PM
What will be the Graphics card of your choice?

The ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR3
or

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3

thanx!

RedLightning
08-01-2008, 09:56 PM
hmm new graphics card...drool.....

-s

SourceChild
19-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Every time I think Radeon, I think of my first dual head card I got on sale to stick in an old PC. It was $85 and a deal. Of course it was a deal because it's a cheap card.

Geforce isn't much better. One thing I think about when I see the new 8800 is the lamination of fire on the outside. It might look like fire but I who the hell cares about what a graphics card looks like when it's inside the damned machine.

Once I see a test that the 8800 matches or outperforms the x1900, I'll be sold on it but right now as far as catalyst is concerned I don't much care for Apple.

jjrecort
20-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Well.. is not just only about performance... Developers used to said me that ATIs are much better for developing and apps take more advantatges running over ATIs rather than nVidias. Two developers of the Apple Motion Team (which is an App that uses intensively the Graphics Card) told me that, and many others as well it's a quite "popular" fact.

If you stuck only at the technical spects.. Gforce is MUCH better than the Radeon... but, as you know.. is not all about the spects... and I do not believe them unless I try or someone (non partial) with the same needs as I test it.

About the stickers and "fires" obviously I don't pay so much attention since boards are inside the Comp... but I have to tell you that for me that "Gaming teenager look" makes me a little bit unconfident about products that seems to be more designed for gaming purposes rather than professional apps.

ryanww
29-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Has anyone been able to check the 8800 out and see if it beats out the 2600 with cat?

Thanks,
Ryan

SourceChild
29-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Hey Ryan,

8800 Does quite well. I going to pick up a brand new MAC. There is a store right down the street from a client, they can walk right out of the store with a stock configuration that had the 8800 in it.

Also, if you look at Drew's results, from the following thread:
http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richardb/upload/showthread.php?t=1362

On the new machine, I'll have stick in a Decklink Pro HD PCIe and a 64Gb Mtron. I had another machine up and running for the client doing a center screen with three edge blended projectors on a TH2G and two IMAG side screens running parallel of the second output.

I performed the demo using a Catalyst Pro licence but reduced the final machine to a DV since the client will never have a need for more than 8 layers.

Using the MAC Pro 2nd gen with the 8800, I am able to run 3 layers of custom content rendered 2816x768 AIC while simultaneously running 3 layers DVNTSC. No hiccups, no skips. Oh and there is less than a 2 frame delay on the capture card fed SDI from the client's switcher.

Has anyone been able to check the 8800 out and see if it beats out the 2600 with cat?

Thanks,
Ryan