PDA

View Full Version : Catalyst v4.1 m165

samsc
04-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Convert files and folders from files HUD.

CatalystPM4.10_m167UB_HD (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16093785/CatalystPM%204.10_m167UB_HD.zip)

ping141
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Just from curiosity, does this work if you don´t have QuickTime Pro?

samsc
08-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Just from curiosity, does this work if you don´t have QuickTime Pro?

you dont need quicktime pro?

are you having a problem?

ping141
08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Not at all. Just wondering... :)

But speaking of QT, I installed a new system with 10.4.11 and QT 7.3.1 (as it was the only one which would play Quartz files), but Apple Intermediate Codec was not there, the movies went white. I can download or copy the codec, but the machine was not online at the time. But still, odd that the codec was not installed with the rest.

Mr_P
10-01-2008, 03:29 AM
I had a similar problem with a brand new mac with leopard and a new install of QT7.3.1 - AI files were not playing and were white.

It seemed like the AI codec was not installed, despite using the installer and codec UG installer. Eventually, I had to find the extention buried in 'Libary/quicktime/AppleIntermediateCodec.component' and copy it the the new mac - restarted quicktime and it worked....

I havent had any isses with slightly older macs (6months) - its was a brand new one in December with leopard pre-installed that had the issue ...

S

NevBull
10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
The AI codec is not supplied as standard with OSX, you have to have one of the Apple video products installed to use it. Buying iLife08 with iMovieHD is the cheapest option at around £50

Nev.

samsc
10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I had a similar problem with a brand new mac with leopard and a new install of QT7.3.1 - AI files were not playing and were white.

It seemed like the AI codec was not installed, despite using the installer and codec UG installer. Eventually, I had to find the extention buried in 'Libary/quicktime/AppleIntermediateCodec.component' and copy it the the new mac - restarted quicktime and it worked....

I havent had any isses with slightly older macs (6months) - its was a brand new one in December with leopard pre-installed that had the issue ...

S

leopard has poor performance on machines i have tested so far-
about 50% slower than tiger per layer.
really quite poor- dual booting on same machine with different os.
still trying to figure out why.

samsc
10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Not at all. Just wondering... :)

But speaking of QT, I installed a new system with 10.4.11 and QT 7.3.1 (as it was the only one which would play Quartz files), but Apple Intermediate Codec was not there, the movies went white. I can download or copy the codec, but the machine was not online at the time. But still, odd that the codec was not installed with the rest.

aic is installed with iMovieHD - its not there by default.

SourceChild
10-01-2008, 04:13 PM
leopard has poor performance on machines i have tested so far-
about 50% slower than tiger per layer.
really quite poor- dual booting on same machine with different os.
still trying to figure out why.

I got lucky, bought a machine at the end of December. It came with Tiger and they gave me a Leopard upgrade disk. I asked why, they said "some people still like Tiger." I asked a support person I know at Apple, he said "I am getting tired of people whining about Leopard's performance." Apparently he's gotten nothing but complaints from power users since Leo's inception.

I created a Dual boot but I gotta tell ya, I am happy I still have Tiger install disks.

samsc
10-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I got lucky, bought a machine at the end of December. It came with Tiger and they gave me a Leopard upgrade disk. I asked why, they said "some people still like Tiger." I asked a support person I know at Apple, he said "I am getting tired of people whining about Leopard's performance." Apparently he's gotten nothing but complaints from power users since Leo's inception.

I created a Dual boot but I gotta tell ya, I am happy I still have Tiger install disks.

leopard has really poor performance on the machines i upgraded to test-

Update - This is mostly fixed by 10.5.2
lets put it like this- right now - my 8 core Intel in 10.5.1 is about the same as my dual g5 in 10.4.11 - in terms of layers of playback in catalyst.

SourceChild
10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
leopard has really poor performance on the machines i upgraded to test-

lets put it like this- right now - my 8 core Intel in 10.5.1 is about the same as my dual g5 in 10.4.11 - in terms of layers of playback in catalyst.

I am running Leo right now with m165 on my 8-core. I have 8 layers running DV at 30fps no vfx and no cfx. With each layer in loopfw, I am dropping frames in at least 2 layers. When I sync all to layer 1, I am dropping frames in 4 layers.

Granted I am using a 1920x1200 monitor as primary and a TH2G (in dual mode) running 2 - 1280x1024. However, the exact same monitor config on Tiger works with up to 11 layer before frame drops. (Not to mention the 14 layers I can get running 2 DH2G or a single and1 TH2G outputting 4 - 1280x1024

Leo basically Sucks!

SourceChild
10-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Convert files and folders from files HUD.

Oh BTW... This is a real freakin' cool feature! :D

I'm blown away.

However, do you have any notes on this?

samsc
10-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Leo basically Sucks!

you are using an mtron disc?
i think you are-

Spam Butterfly
11-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Anyone tried downgrading a preloaded Leopard machine to Tiger?

Hugh

NevBull
11-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi Hugh

Just done just that - new 8 Core reinstalled with Tiger - all ok.

Nev.

samsc
11-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Hugh

Just done just that - new 8 Core reinstalled with Tiger - all ok.

Nev.

how new?

this weeks machines?

NevBull
14-01-2008, 01:30 PM
no - not this week's machines

emilianomorgia
14-01-2008, 09:31 PM
how new?

this weeks machines?

What do you mean ?

Can't be possible that  do not allow downgrading

samsc
14-01-2008, 10:51 PM
What do you mean ?

Can't be possible that  do not allow downgrading

apple released new mac pro this week January 2008.
They will not likely boot into tiger.

Apple does not usually ever allow downgrade on new hardware after a major OS release or hard ware change

Apple does not typically release new hardware than runs or even installs on old OS.

FinnRoss
15-01-2008, 03:24 AM

S

I've had this with a lot of machines without quicktime pro installed, copy and pasting codecs of choice seems to work nicely.

NevBull
15-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Not sure what the legality of copying the AI codec between machines would be in Apple's eyes. As we know, it's not a part of the standard OSX install, requiring iMovieHD to be bought as a minimum. There is probably something buried in the software licence somewhere.

Nev.

samsc
15-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I've had this with a lot of machines without quicktime pro installed, copy and pasting codecs of choice seems to work nicely.

its not quicktime pro. Quicktime pro doesnt do anything .
It needs to be installed with iLife08 and ImovieHD.
you need to install it- copying codecs might not install it correcly.

Mr_P
16-01-2008, 02:22 AM
To be honest - I hadnt realised that it wasnt included... All my macs have iLife or iWork and QT Pro anyway.

The Mac in question wasnt one of mine, and as usual I had to get it working! - 'As needs must...'

Have to admit - the apple site is a bit vague on AI codec - it does offer some download options, but doesnt explain about purchasing requirements - Searching the downloads on the apple site was my first port of call... before I realised that I could simply copy the extension.

Point taken about installation method - but I couldnt see anything else that was installed with it in the downloaded package either - and it seemed to work ok..

S

samsc
17-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Have to admit - the apple site is a bit vague on AI codec - it does offer some download options, but doesnt explain about purchasing requirements - Searching the downloads on the apple site was my first port of call... before I realised that I could simply copy the extension.
S

apple is very vague about this codec. it was initially used to trancode hdv ( high defintion dv type cameras ) footage when digitising in early versions of final cut and imovie- so its a high quality codec.

i only discovered it worked well from a comment posted on a unrelated video capturing forum.
someone posted "we capture with aic because it works the best we tested".

samsc
19-01-2008, 12:21 AM
no - not this week's machines

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/2008_mac_pro_reports.html#storytop

Reports it might be possible to boot up the latest macs in tiger - also possible to use older graphics cards-

Radeon X1900 XT works in both old and new Mac Pro -

Woodj32177
19-01-2008, 07:50 PM
But which card is better for catalyst?
the ATI Radeon X1900 XT with 512MB
or NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
Is it worth changing from the ATI to the Nvidia?
Joshua Wood

samsc
19-01-2008, 10:40 PM
But which card is better for catalyst?
the ATI Radeon X1900 XT with 512MB
or NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
Is it worth changing from the ATI to the Nvidia?
Joshua Wood

No idea yet.

The 8800 is not available in any form for many weeks. if you try building a machine with this it says 5 weeks or so.
These changes usually take several months to figure out such things.

jasonrudolph
21-01-2008, 12:21 AM
And you can't put the new cards into old mac pros......

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/18/geforce-8800-gt-upgrade-causes-headaches-for-some-mac-pro-users/

even though they sell an upgrade kit

SourceChild
23-01-2008, 12:58 AM
you are using an mtron disc?
i think you are-

Yeah, all Mtron machines now.

samsc
28-01-2008, 04:47 PM
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/2008_mac_pro_reports.html#storytop

Reports it might be possible to boot up the latest macs in tiger - also possible to use older graphics cards-

Got a new MacPro.
Boots up in tiger - but default BTO low end X2600 graphics card isnt supported except with minimal features.
No other graphics cards available at this time within short delivery.
So not useful.

Might boot up properly with x1900 card instead of x2600.

---

Initial testing with x2600 works ok on a single monitor - but really overloaded with a triple head. Same deal as nvidia 7300.
nvidia 7300 has poor performance, doesnt like hidef files. Doesnt like triple heads. Overloads very easily.
---

Might try testing with x1900 later

SourceChild
29-01-2008, 02:41 AM
To promote my machines as "higher value" I tend to run them all as 3 or 4 output machines. Using a TH2G and 2nd output or two DH2G, it means I can consistently output four 1280x1024 or 1024x768 feeds. Part of doing this is based on cost to build a system. the x1900 wasn't an expensive upgrade on the old Tiger systems. Something comparable would be fine.

I have heard there is a new release on the horizon which is supposed to mean more advanced MAC Pro machines. We shall see.

Got a new MacPro.
Boots up in tiger - but default BTO low end X2600 graphics card isnt supported except with minimal features.

Initial testing with x2600 works ok on a single monitor - but really overloaded with a triple head. Same deal as nvidia 7300.
nvidia 7300 has poor performance, doesnt like hidef files. Doesnt like triple heads. Overloads very easily.

There is almost a $3000 upgrade cost to get the Quatro FX 5600. Yes, it might be able to run 2 TH2G at 3840x1024 giving me six outputs. It's just insane that I would have to pay more for the damned video card than the base computer by itself. Then it brings about the fact that at a minimum of 3 layers per mix, 6 mixes means 18 layers which is way over 1 universe.

I'm perfectly happy with 12 layers split on 4 outputs using the x1900.

The x1900 worked fine. According to a quick look at the spec, the new Geforce 8800 will not perform quite as well as the x1900 did. Why would apple downgrade (oh yeah, I do own an iphone, I guess I shouldn't be surprised).
Being that a critical part of Catalyst performance an stability is the GPU, I will become quite angry if Apple doesn't have a better solution.

Might boot up properly with x1900 card instead of x2600.
Might try testing with x1900 later

Even if we can get the x1900 to boot with Tiger on these new machines, what happens when x1900 cards aren't available anymore for MACs?

samsc
29-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Even if we can get the x1900 to boot with Tiger on these new machines, what happens when x1900 cards aren't available anymore for MACs?

tried today - couldnt get it to work with the x1900 inside jan08 macpro. ( there are 2 graphics card power connectors inside the machine )
will hunt around see if i missed something.

the entire range of graphics cards just changed - have to see what happens in the next month.

8800 isnt available yet. listed as 5-7 weeks delivery on US applestore from today
I have 2 x xt2600 in my mac pro.

samsc
30-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Then it brings about the fact that at a minimum of 3 layers per mix, 6 mixes means 18 layers which is way over 1 universe.

im trying to do 32 layers on a show in london - just about got it to work-
they only need low resolution images - just lots of them.

FxDrew
06-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Here is an article on how to re-enable "legacy" codecs when updating to quicktime v7.4

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1112#more-1112

samsc
06-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks drew-

this is really really stupid thing for apple to do...

almost everyone uses these so-called 'legacy' codecs.

terrible user interface change- hiding these things away.

Almost noone will spot this-

--

This isnt all thats broken in QT7.4

QT 7.4 not recommended. ( oh apple stupidly gives and error in iTunes if its not installed... )

emilianomorgia
11-02-2008, 11:33 PM
does 10.5.2 give catalyst better performances ?

samsc
12-02-2008, 11:51 PM
does 10.5.2 give catalyst better performances ?

Yes.

Seems to.

its an awful lot better. only 10% slower than tiger ( rather than 80% ) in first tests.

FxDrew
13-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Just got a new MacPro in yesterday. I'm waiting for my Mtron SSD to come in, but I was wondering if I needed some other parts to use the hard drive sliding trays?

NevBull
13-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey Drew

nope - just put the four screws from the tray into the drive and push it home!

Nev.