PDA

View Full Version : HD with surround sound

ping141
06-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Does anyone have a tips on how to get 6 channels of sound out of a Mac Pro? Any suggested devices? Can the optical output do this?

The task is to play a HD movie with surround sound on 2 beamers, so I was thinking the Catalyst would be good choice.

emilianomorgia
06-12-2007, 11:24 PM
use the search button luke ....

Search for " 24 channels " or " tos link "

Do not under estimate the power of the search

samsc
07-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Does anyone have a tips on how to get 6 channels of sound out of a Mac Pro? Any suggested devices? Can the optical output do this?

The task is to play a HD movie with surround sound on 2 beamers, so I was thinking the Catalyst would be good choice.

there are a lot of sound output boxes from the music and audio companies.

there are many multichannel firewire boxes.

I use motu ultralites.
other people prefer other devices.

to get multichannel sound - you need to set the output channel assignment in quicktime player and/or final cut

SourceChild
08-12-2007, 04:41 AM
...there are a lot of sound output boxes from the music and audio companies...
...I use motu ultralites...

I use the Mbox Pro from Digidesign.

...you need to set the output channel assignment in quicktime player and/or final cut...

At first this was a trick to setup but once you learn it, it'svery fast and easy. I have done literally hundreds of content clips this way.

Another suggestion though if you are timecoding your show is to have the audio running on a show controller that is indexable. Then you can just sync the timecode from the audio to the catalyst.

This doesn't help performance as much as it allows for speeding up programming time by indexing your timecode to play though.